Digital camera HELP..........

jbctown

Might want to start a new thread on this one, I would like to look into the video camers stuff as well. I don't want to use my SLR for video, else I would have not gotten the 40D, and waited for the 7D. That is a pretty sweet camera fo sho!

Yes, yes it is, but it definitely isn't for everyday video use. I'll probably never use it other than the playing around with it I did.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it's effects on DoF.

For the OP. If you are still here reading our blather and still camera shopping I suggest the website below to do camera comparisons. Very nice database, you can compare models side by side. Tons of reviews. Narrow it down to two or three then go to the store and see which one feels best in your hands.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Thanks very helpfull....

Not really but some good input.

Ok, let me answer your original post.

1) determine your price range

2) determine your needs then wants

3) pick out 3-5 cameras

4) go to flickr and look at pictures taken with each camera (look at a bunch from different users, you'll see common things amount the pictures)

5) buy that one

And it's effects on DoF.

For the OP. If you are still here reading our blather and still camera shopping I suggest the website below to do camera comparisons. Very nice database, you can compare models side by side. Tons of reviews. Narrow it down to two or three then go to the store and see which one feels best in your hands.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Playing with DOF is fun, and interesting. I'd like to get me a 85L!

Ok, let me answer your original post.

1) determine your price range

2) determine your needs then wants

3) pick out 3-5 cameras

4) go to flickr and look at pictures taken with each camera (look at a bunch from different users, you'll see common things amount the pictures)

5) buy that one

Will do.

I don't disagree with you guys... BUT

flickr will give the "average man" test AFTER he picks some cameras... "what do the average peoples' pictures look like?"

I don't think the average person's pics are going to look much, if any different from one camera to another.

The same no matter the camera?
I don't think the average person's pics are going to look much, if any different from one camera to another.

I agree... but when making buying decisions consumers typically think about "what does everyone else do"... most people are just looking for, what we call, "the warm hug" that they are making the right decision.

Seeing that the pictures from X camera look good would be his final pat on the back that he's made a good decision.

I agree... but when making buying decisions consumers typically think about "what does everyone else do"... most people are just looking for, what we call, "the warm hug" that they are making the right decision.

Seeing that the pictures from X camera look good would be his final pat on the back that he's made a good decision.

I think amateur users opinions on the camera would be more useful than their pictures.

Bad photog with top notch equipment < good photog with mediocre equipment...

if you are looking to make a jump to a bit nice camera, but don't have the knowledge of SLR. check out the Canon G-10. a GREAT camera. It's like a Point and shoot on steroids. Has a lot of manual adjustments to help you learn the SLR ropes. VERY versatile camera. And it's still a Point a shoot. And it's not as $$$$ as a SLR. Great camera to move up to.

From a Lurker. Check it out.

And if you look up Midwest Camera Exchange in Columbus, O. They were running a great sale on this too. FYI

if you are looking to make a jump to a bit nice camera, but don't have the knowledge of SLR. check out the Canon G-10. a GREAT camera. It's like a Point and shoot on steroids. Has a lot of manual adjustments to help you learn the SLR ropes. VERY versatile camera. And it's still a Point a shoot. And it's not as $$$$ as a SLR. Great camera to move up to.

From a Lurker. Check it out.

And if you look up Midwest Camera Exchange in Columbus, O. They were running a great sale on this too. FYI

How are their prices compared to Cord? I'd prefer to shop locally, but not a cord's prices. Although I DID buy my 40D from them, since I didn't want to wait for it....

Understand Exposure by Bryan Peterson. One of the best books you can pick up when new to photography.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I've had someone explain the basics of aperture and shutter speed but i think I need to read about the basics in order for it to really sink in... then I imagine my new toy will start to be more enjoyable.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I've had someone explain the basics of aperture and shutter speed but i think I need to read about the basics in order for it to really sink in... then I imagine my new toy will start to be more enjoyable.

If anybody needs help, I teach photography now through Cord. PM's are fine.

• 2 weeks later...

good info in here... I'm going to be trying to pick up a camera in december for $400-$600. I understand how to work with the manual settings, I used a canon FTb and Canon Pellix growing up, then switched over to a crappy digital Kodak just so that I didn't have to spend money on film in college. I think eventually, I'll try to spend some good money on a camera, but for now I'm trying to work with the $400-$600 :) I'm gonna start researching dslr cams, but if anyone has a specific suggestion, that would be stellar :D :D :D

Also, I think I'd like to get those two old Canons cleaned and fixed up. If I remember right, one of them was only taking half a picture, but I can't remember which. Best place to do this?

good info in here... I'm going to be trying to pick up a camera in december for $400-$600. I understand how to work with the manual settings, I used a canon FTb and Canon Pellix growing up, then switched over to a crappy digital Kodak just so that I didn't have to spend money on film in college. I think eventually, I'll try to spend some good money on a camera, but for now I'm trying to work with the $400-$600 :) I'm gonna start researching dslr cams, but if anyone has a specific suggestion, that would be stellar :D :D :D

Also, I think I'd like to get those two old Canons cleaned and fixed up. If I remember right, one of them was only taking half a picture, but I can't remember which. Best place to do this?

With the old slr's, there is a local guy named Ben Arnold who does that out of his Clintonville home. There is also Camtronics in Gahana.

The Canon XS, Sony A230, and the Nikon D3000 would be your price point options. Again, www.dpreview.com is the best unbiased source for information. Happy to discuss anyting with you too. Catch me on the Aprilia if we do one of those lunch out things again...:D