Good powerful fun rifle

alab32

I am thinking about getting a nice fun rifle. I dont really hunt but would mind getting into it so i wouldnt mind buying a gun i can use for that if i choose to start. I already own a little 22 for plinking around with but i want a nice rifle. 7mm, .308, 30-06... What do you guys think? Also, I want it in bolt action. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Nuisance permit. Looks like pretty much anything goes with that one. You can even "spotlight" the deer to aid in target acquisition.

(I see the need' date=' but it's not hunting. I win on a technicality.):p[/quote']

yes "spotlight" was used ;)

and we can call this one a tie :lol:

What do you want to be able to shoot/hunt with it?

At what range do you want to be able to hit targets accurately?

What is the max range you think you will use it at?

What is the average range you will most likely be engaging targets/animals at?

Do you or will you reload your own ammo?

What is your budget for the rifle?

What is your budget for the scope/rings/base?

Answer these questions and get back to me.

For now I just want to shoot targets from about 300 and in. I am not positive when or even if I will actually use it for hunting, I just want to have the option open if I so choose. I wont be hunting bear or anything, unless I end up moving to AK or something like that. I wont be reloading my own ammo and my budget is less then 800 for everything. However that can be adjusted if NECESSARY. I am not a competitive shooter however I love to shoot so I want something that will last me, be accurate and not cost me an arm and a leg.

For now I just want to shoot targets from about 300 and in. I am not positive when or even if I will actually use it for hunting, I just want to have the option open if I so choose. I wont be hunting bear or anything, unless I end up moving to AK or something like that. I wont be reloading my own ammo and my budget is less then 800 for everything. However that can be adjusted if NECESSARY. I am not a competitive shooter however I love to shoot so I want something that will last me, be accurate and not cost me an arm and a leg.

About anything will work just fine for 300 and closer.. If you think your going to hunt big game like bear, I would suggest something in 30 cal or 7mm Mag

300WSM, 300WM, 300RUM, .308 is a great gun and plenty of ammo available for it.

Dont get the Mosin, you will never find quality ammo for it. The people that said 50 are either joking or idiots. Mini 14 is not what you want.

Honestly, your budget of 800 with a rifle, scope, rings, and a base is on the low side especially if you want to buy new.

how about a 22-250? I have a savage model 12 BTV. with a well placed shot, i can take just about any animal down that i desire.

I coyote hunt with mine. It is a beautiful gun and can be had with a very nice scope for $850. (i may even be willing to sell you mine). It has about 50 rounds through it total and the barrel was seasoned correctly. PM me if your interested.

how about a 22-250? I have a savage model 12 BTV. with a well placed shot, i can take just about any animal down that i desire.

I coyote hunt with mine. It is a beautiful gun and can be had with a very nice scope for $850. (i may even be willing to sell you mine). It has about 50 rounds through it total and the barrel was seasoned correctly. PM me if your interested.

Where do you hunt Coyote at? Want some company?

I recommended a large caliber since he said he may move and bear hunt with it.

Well, I actually said I wont be hunting bear or anything like that. I am not sure what I would be hunting, more like deer since I am from NY and I would just go back there and hunt but... I was thinking 30-06 more than anything. I know you can get some of those for less that 600, then of course the scope and what not. But I like the .308 as well. More thank likely it will be one of these two. But the .308 is more expensive, haha.

Well, I actually said I wont be hunting bear or anything like that. I am not sure what I would be hunting, more like deer since I am from NY and I would just go back there and hunt but... I was thinking 30-06 more than anything. I know you can get some of those for less that 600, then of course the scope and what not. But I like the .308 as well. More thank likely it will be one of these two. But the .308 is more expensive, haha.

Sounds like you already made up your mind before even starting this thread??