View from my "office"

SAMBUSA

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at the same time. And no pix. One did make the Springfield paper a couple years ago. They had a ton of pix, which I thought was kinda rude considering the circumstances.

A couple friends and I saw the scene of a major train vs. semi truck collision several years ago. It was late at night, and a VERY eerie sight. That much steel all twisted and mangled. Unfortunately, this was way back before digital cameras, and none of us had a camera of any kind. The incident was on SR 37 south of Granville, semi was coming down the big hill, couldn't see the train in time, or couldn't get stopped, pushed the train right off the tracks! :eek:

im pretty intrigued. What is normal cruising speed for a train? What about stopping distance. It seems like when they stop on the tracks around my house, you can hear the brakes trying to stop for what seems like forever. What kinds of things do you normally haul? and pretty random but are there train fuel stations between stops, or are the tanks big enough its not a worry?

im pretty intrigued. What is normal cruising speed for a train? What about stopping distance. It seems like when they stop on the tracks around my house, you can hear the brakes trying to stop for what seems like forever. What kinds of things do you normally haul? and pretty random but are there train fuel stations between stops, or are the tanks big enough its not a worry?

im hearin all these new commercials about this new GE locamotive supposed to be super efficient.

In this area, the fastest track speed for freight is 55. Out west freight does 70 but there aren't any crossings.

Stopping distance depends on grade conditions and tonnage, but for shits and giggles we'll just say that it takes about a mile to stop in an emergency application(only used for if we hit a car, person, etc.)

We haul just about anything and everything. New cars, grain, pig iron, steel, etc.

The fuel normally comes to us but there are locations that have big fuel tanks. The fuel tanks are between 3 and 5 thousand gallon capacity depending on locomotive so we dont have to fuel up very often.