Wireless access points

Bad324

Long story short I feel as though the Xbox360 adapters should cost no more than $50 and I want to hook my xbox back up and get LIVE again so I can get MW2

Anyway, my buddy was telling me that he thinks I can find a wireless access point that should work. Anyone know anything about these and if I can indeed do this?

From what I've read, the Linksys WAP54G can do what you want. I went the expensive route, twice! I have 2 TiVo's networked, both have usb to ethernet adapters, then one goes to a linksys "game adapter" which is around $100 (probably what you've looked at, or similar) and the other uses a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server, that has a 4 port switch built in, connects the TiVo and the 360 that way, along with my USB printer, all wired to it, then wireless to the router.

There are other access points out there that work in what they call "bridge mode", which is what you need, a wired to wireless bridge. I've seen some for as low as like $25 or 30. If I get a minute, I'll lookup a couple for you.

does the xbox have a wifi adapter built in or you need that adapter?

generally a wireless access point is just a wifi router

No wifi for the 360, just wired ethernet.

Not exactly. Wireless routers are router with a wireless access point built in. Basically, most of the plain access points will work in reverse, like the op needs

u can give me a taint rub as repayment later :)

Sweeeeeet. I'm gonna try this tomorrow when my computer nerd roommate gets back from his business trip tomorrow. I just happen to have my old laptop sitting around here to just leave hooked up all the time. You are the man!

u can give me a taint rub as repayment later :)

That's a pretty cool idea! Question though, can you still use the connection on the computer without reconfiguring it, basically thinking you could use a media center box, bridge the connection to the 360, and use the net on both. Doubtful the connection would be getting much traffic from both at the same time, but wouldn't be much fun having to reconfigure it everytime you switched around.