hunting/home protection

Steve Butters

I have a 870 express with the smooth barrel. I use it for shot and rifled slugs works fine with both has the 20" barrel on it with rifle sites. If it is a smooth bore then you need rifled slugs. if its rifled you need the nonrifled slugs but shooting any type of shot load down it is gonna mess the rifling up..

I use a 870 Super Mag for just about everything. 28" smooth barrel with modified choke for slugs, then change out the chokes for for hunting birds etc. Home defense its the smooth 20in rifled sights barrel and I prefer BB-#4 shot for home defense. Most shotguns come in a combo package unless you just want one barrel.

Gander Mountain in Twinsburg had a deal on the Remington 870 Express synthetic with 18 inch barrel, cylinder bore for $249. I dont plan to hunt, but the video on Remington's website makes it seem that changing barrels is very easy to do. I thought about the 2 shell "extender" add on, but as the guy at counter indicated, most shoot outs with shotguns dont last last more then 2 or 3 shells.I am looking at getting this 870 express, 3 inch chamber. Remington makes a shell for home defense, which i think is #2 and #4 shot.

Just to clarify.. a rifled slug should only be fired from a smooth barrel. A smooth slug (non-rifled) can be fired from either a smooth barrel or a rifled barrel' date=' with varying results.[/quote']

+1

Sabot rounds can be used in either smoothbore or rifled barrels, but they are meant for rifled barrels.

Also, in smoothbores, make sure you aren't using a full choke. Improved Cylinder is most often recommended for slugs.

i have a mossy 835 (turkey gun) says right on the barrel not for use with slugs... its the most accurate rifled slug gun ive ever owned.... 50 yds clay pigeon is dead every time. though it says its not intended for slugs because it is choked as long as you use the correct choke you wont dmg the barrel or choke. 3in rifled rem sluggers. go through the accu-mag choke just fine. tested and haversted approved lol