hunting/home protection

Steve Butters

im looking for a nice shotgun for hunting and home protection....i want something i can take out hunting deer with but thats also going to be good to keep around the house .... i know absolutely nothing about guns, so if anyone would give me advice on where to look for a gun and what kind or anything else i should need to know...that would be great, thanks

thanks for all the help man...what do you think about this one?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/047700255897.html

and wheres the best place locally to shop for one? can i find used ones somewhere? or is new better

Edited by Steve Butters

thanks for all the help man...what do you think about this one?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/047700255897.html

and wheres the best place locally to shop for one? can i find used ones somewhere? or is new better

I wouldnt use a 26 or 28 inch barrel for the home but thats just me and thats a choked barrel so you wouldnt want it for deer slugs either

hmm...sorry im not getting the difference in barrel thing...lol not sure what choked means

ok....so hows this? its got a 20" barrel so i could use it for home and hunting right?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/047700250977.html

yep you could use that for both but get the smooth barreled version and use a rifled slug , so your not shooting buckshot down a rifled barrel

yep you could use that for both but get the smooth barreled version and use a rifled slug , so your not shooting buckshot down a rifled barrel

do i need different barrels for slugs and buckshot? or should i always be using slugs anyways?

ive never hunted before, my girls dad goes every year so im trying to pick up a gun i can take to go with him, but that i can use for home protection

you need slugs for deer , you dont want to use slugs for home defense

slugs come rifled and non rifled

dont want to shoot buckshot thru a rifled barrel, ruins the rifleing

if you dont want to swap barrel get a smooth 20" unchoked barrel and use rifled slugs for deer and 00 buckshot for home

you need slugs for deer , you dont want to use slugs for home defense

slugs come rifled and non rifled

dont want to shoot buckshot thru a rifled barrel, ruins the rifleing

if you dont want to swap barrel get a smooth 20" unchoked barrel and use rifled slugs for deer and 00 buckshot for home

awesome man thanks for explaining and helpin me out..

where would be the best place to shop for this? should i go to vances and tell them what i need?

vances has them , prices are a bit high there IMO. JJ1 is a member on here and works at vances he would prolly help you out with selection if you go when he's working . I use gunbroker.com when I need a gun or the gun shows , theres one tomarrow at vets

If you go let me know, ill roll with you.