fake chrome removal

Steve Butters

had some covers on my bike with a fake chrome type decal and it started to crinkle up, so i removed the covers and am going to strip the rest of this decal and spray them black...found out after slicing my fingers open several times, and losing a small chunk of my fingernail, this wasnt as easy as i hoped lol

the decals are a thin metal feeling material...doubt theyre actually metal though... is there something i can soak them in? for the most part its coming off, but theres some small places i cant get to with my fingers...this stuff is sharp if caught at the wrong angle...and the decals are just flaking apart instead of peeling

tired of getting cut up by this fake chrome gayness....soap and water mix? parts cleaner? the covers are plastic, so i need something that wont eat them away, just make the sticker stuff looser

Chrome can be taken off of plastic model parts a variety of ways.

But your chrome is a lot thicker. Not sure what would work.

Things that work (sort of) on thin chrome on plastic models:

Castrol Super Clean

Fantastic

Formula 409

Pinesol

chlorine bleach

E-Z Off Oven Cleaner

dot 3 brake fluid

In most cases, the part is completely immersed or soaked, sealed in a bag, until it works.

Chrome can be taken off of plastic model parts a variety of ways.

But your chrome is a lot thicker. Not sure what would work.

Things that work (sort of) on thin chrome on plastic models:

Castrol Super Clean

Fantastic

Formula 409

Pinesol

chlorine bleach

E-Z Off Oven Cleaner

dot 3 brake fluid

In most cases, the part is completely immersed or soaked, sealed in a bag, until it works.

i have pinesol...will it not harm the plastic? i also have brake fluid, and ez-off

Plastic parts are chrome plated either by metal vapor deposition, or by appling electroless copper solution, then chrome plating over the top.

You can try media blasting the parts. Walnut shells seem to work best. Glass and sand seem to be a bit harsh on plastic. Harbor freight has a small spot sandblaster for around $20, as long as you have an air compressor.

Start off with lower air pressure and increase until you get the desired affect. Masking off the areas where it has already peeled off would be a good idea.

i have pinesol...will it not harm the plastic? i also have brake fluid, and ez-off

It's always possible that one of the chemicals will mess up the plastic.

But in general, this is what people use on polystyrene plastic.

The motorcycle part is probably ABS or polypropylene, I'm guessing.

Put a scrap part in the pinesol and see what happens.

And yes, sometimes I don't have much success with trying to soak stuff off of plastic. It's frustrating...

edit: The brake fluid will definitely mess up paint. Don't get it on paint. The oven cleaner probably would also.

Actually, don't let any of them get on the paint. Too harsh, and it would blemish or remove it.

Edited by ReconRat

ok i may try soaking it in brake fluid or pinesol, gonna keep going at it with a razor blade and see if my luck gets any better...if not ill have someone sandblast it, but im not thinking it will sandblast off

shitty thing is there are 2 of these covers lol not just the one i pictured, other isnt even touched yet

Tyler i could get these stripped for you for pretty cheap. Do no soak those pieces as they appear to be a tpo based plastic and will be damaged by most solvents

If AttackPainter can get them stripped, I'd do it. Soaking is a mess, doesn't work like it is supposed to, and definitely has potential for ruining the plastic. Most sandblasting media would chew right into the plastic as well. Chrome is so hard, a reverse electro plating is probably the best way.