Carb issues

max power

Calling all carburetor experts!!

I have a Yamaha Warrior ATV. It is a 350 thumper (single) with 1 carb.

I wrecked it in may and it sat for most of the summer while I recovered from a broken collar bone.

I had an idling issue over the summer and pulled the carb to find a clogged idle jet. I cleaned it out and it backfired thru the carb when idling ever since.

Last week, the carburetor joint (part that connects the carb to the engine) cracked in half while riding at the Wayne. I figured it was cracked and that was the cause of the near constant backfiring. It wasnt. It still does it. Under load, it runs fine, just wont idle as it backfires and dies.

Any ideas?

1127091500a.jpg

If it is anything like the CV carbs on my bike, the popping and backfiring at idle is a result of a lean mixture. Make sure you have sealed up any air leaks you may have. Your tube you just replaced, your air box, and your exhaust gasket. If the crush ring on your exhaust is bad, it will cause the backfire. If everything is sealed up ok, you may have to adjust the pilot screw. I believe in is richer out is leaner. Adjust in 1/4 turns to desired result. Hope it helps, theres not many peeps that can deal with carbs. I am a novice, so dont tal

ke my word as gospel.

In your first post it says you cleaned out your jets. Exactly how did you go about doing this? It is possible you could have opened it up a little and now it is running super rich and cause the backfires and dieing.

I cleaned them with carb cleaner.