Nothing else going on...

hue jass

So I decided to fight-out my RC. Threw all that bodywork in the trash!

33nenfq.jpg

Seriously, I just changed out the steering head balls for tapered rollers.

There are cut outs that allow you to tap out the outer races. This one's the bottom, the top is the same.

2qsz9yf.jpg

When you get the stem out, the lower inner race is a press fit. To get it off, use a Dremel with a cut-off wheel. Carefully. Don't go all the way through and drive a punch into the cut every once and a while, it'll pop. Use this piece to drive the new race on. Takes about five minutes.

2u60do3.jpg

All set to go together.

rkrm1h.jpg

2a9tfts.jpg

And...done.

1znr2f8.jpg

is there an issue with the stock balls?

No real issue. Thing is, many times on assembly, the stocks are either too tight or too loose. Balls also require more attention. Ask Moose.

It's a whole production to float the front wheel on a sportbike so things like steering bearing service and fork oil changes get left behind. If the steering head bearings are allowed to run loose, it sets up for faster wear and a sloppy fork. On the RC, they were fine. On all of the 4 bikes I've done this to, not one of them needed re-adjustment and they run smooth as glass forever.

You just got that beautiful new Honda! I know you could'a had a '5 or'6 RC51 for what you paid on that. You just have to drive far to go get them.

Oh it'll be sometime in Spring and he'll sell the CBR because it's not practical for the road, and then he'll replace it with something more sensible. . . like a Zx14, and then he won't ride that much and the cycle will begin anew...