Z-1000

Todd#43

I've got an 07. I got it a few months after selling my 05 ZX-6R. I missed riding, and I wanted to get another Kawasaki. At the time, I didn't like the 07 6R or 10R and saw a pic of the Z1000 with the Two Bros exhaust and that kinda sold me (although, I ended up getting a fully Akra system!). I bought the bike without ever seeing it in person (well, I think someone passed me on one just before I bought it).

There are times when I think it'd be cool to have the 09 6R (or 05 10R...but I digress). However, every time I ride my 07, I remember how much I like it. It's different and usually gets a lot of looks. I commute with it and rode to Florida last year (hope to do that again next year). And I can hold my own with it on the weekends when pushing it.

Mods? There's the exhaust, airbox mod, bars, mirrors, and whatever else you want. Compared to the first gen, the second gen has better suspension and brakes, but the ZX-6R components on a first gen would be better than what I've got on my 07.

You might hold off and try the 2010 Z1000, which looks solid.

Questions?

If I was gonna go out and buy a new bike, this probably wouldnt be it. I like standards but I'd rather have another FZ-1 or even a B-King.

A guy offered to trade a 2003 Z1000 for my KTM, and I'm curious about some of the mods he's done and the reasoning behind them (mainly the 636 suspension swap). It sounds like people do it to get the adjustability not found on the stock stuff.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those first gens have a pretty de-tuned motor. Kinda underwhelming for a literbike.

You can find some REALLY nice FZ-1s for your ktm asking price.

Good information.

I'm sure I could find a really decent FZ-1 for what I want to get out of the KTM, but that would require me selling it first. This is interesting only because the guy is talking trade.

Those first gens have a pretty de-tuned motor. Kinda underwhelming for a literbike.

You can find some REALLY nice FZ-1s for your ktm asking price.

mines stock and dynod at 125. whats an FZ pushing out?

We have a 2008 Z1000; I love it, but it has some weak spots. The suspension is the part I like the least. It's really comfortable, but I have not been able to adjust the dive out of it under braking. The power and the brakes are amazing though. You can gain some additional power by swapping in ZX-9 cams/double spring valves (and be able to increase the RPM range).

Todd, I have a buddy who has an 03 with 35,000 miles on it. Leo full system and p/c just made 128hp on hords dyno. I rode it on a 900 mile single day trip and it was by far a great handling and very comfortable bike to be on for that amount of time

Sounds like it would be a lot like my 2001 FZ1 that I had. I could ride that bike two up through the twisties all day, slab it back home and not be beat. Couldn't do that on any of the GSX-Rs or Duc's I've had.

Nice looking bike. And it looks familiar, like the current owner is a member of riderforums.com. Someone on there has a great looking first gen in white.

In the factory trim, I never really liked the bike. Without the goofy exhaust, it looks decent.

If you figure out who it is, hit me up.

I was wrong. I found the one I was thinking of. It's close, but I don't think it's the one you're looking at. I like the one you're looking at better. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=1512&d=1261569985

http://www.riderforums.com/showpost.php?p=535297&postcount=1

This bike is SICK in person. I know the guy who built it (not the current owner)

The attention to detail is insane.

edit: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=49825

Edited by Zach

My brother has a second gen (2007), I have ridden it quite a bit, and its a very impressive bike.

Power is good, not liter bike good but perfect for the street. Very comparable too your 2001 FZ1

Comfort is exactly the same as my ZRX, but not quite as comfortable as the 2001-2005 FZ1. The seat, which is a little hard, would have to be changed for me to be ok with it, but he rode it to Barber with no issues.

The suspension is good for the street, maybe a little harsh, but it is set up for him, and he prefers the solid feel. The front feels excellent, but the rear shock is prone to waller...which was hard to get right...most tend to throw a ZX6R shock on, as it is a direct fit (not sure of year)

Best shifting bike I have ever rode, not to mention the smoothest. It is very different compared to the first gen (2003-2006).

My opinion, its a very refined bike (considering its a streetfigher), but still has soul.

I was wrong. I found the one I was thinking of. It's close, but I don't think it's the one you're looking at. I like the one you're looking at better. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=1512&d=1261569985

http://www.riderforums.com/showpost.php?p=535297&postcount=1

I never realized how small that bike is, or is that rider just a huge dood?

...most tend to throw a ZX6R shock on, as it is a direct fit (not sure of year)

Good review whaler. Just to clarify, the 07 ZX10R shock is a direct swap for the second gen (see link):

http://www.riderforums.com/showthread.php?t=45802

I remember reading that the ZX6R was slightly different and not as easy to swap.

Cheers!

Good review whaler. Just to clarify, the 07 ZX10R shock is a direct swap for the second gen (see link):

http://www.riderforums.com/showthread.php?t=45802

I remember reading that the ZX6R was slightly different and not as easy to swap.

Cheers!

Supposedly this bike has a 636 forks and rear shock. Apparently thats a direct swap on the first gen.