Armed burglary near my house

redkow97

This is 3 miles from my house. I know that because my in-laws live on that street and I jog from our house to theirs when it's not snowing... They're in a nicer neighborhood than we are.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/12/3_cleveland_men_accused_of_inv.html

"PARMA HEIGHTS, Ohio — Lamont Chaney, 18, Enoch Hall, 19, and Jayson Townsend, 28, all of Cleveland, are due in court today on charges of kidnapping, aggravated robbery, aggravated burglary, felonious assault and carrying a concealed weapon. The trio is accused of invading a home on Greenbriar Drive in Parma Heights Dec. 21.

They were armed, demanded money and assaulted the victims, prosecutor's spokesman Ryan Miday said.

"It was a horrifying night for this family," he said.

"J-Roc" Townsend, of Edmonton Avenue, has a lengthy criminal history here that began in 2000 with drug possession. He pleaded guilty to drug trafficking in 2003 and 2004 and was sentenced to 1 1/2 years in prison. In March 2007, he pleaded to carrying a concealed weapon and was sentenced to another 1 1/2 years followed by three years of post-release control.

Chaney lived in the 1400 block of West 101st Street. Hall lived in the 1400 block of East 93rd Street. Their juvenile records were not available.

The three suspects will be arraigned today in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court."

The family also owns a liquor store in East Cleveland, so (according to neighborhood gossip, procured by my mother-in-law) the victim suspects these jokers followed him home to find out where he lived, and believed he kept large amounts of cash in the house. Maybe the saw him take the register money home once, and assumed he kept it at home? Otherwise, i don't see why they wouldn't just rob the guy while he's closing...

the article doesn't say so, but i'm told the suspects restrained the victims, but didn't take their phones. They called 911, and police caught the suspects as they attempted to flee the home.

so who's got an inexpensive revolver or shotgun for sale? Reliable and cheap are my primary interests. I'll also be interested in a .22 for range use...

I have checked that site out before, they have some decent prices on guns.

DAMN IT! Finally.... for the first time in my entire life I hear about another "JaYson" that lives NEAR me and he has to be some HOOLIGAN robbin' innocent liquor store owners makin' a damn fool of himself!

:mad:

It sucks that this happened close to where you and your family live. I am with Likwid, just go to the dicks there in parma and buy a short barrel shotgun. Buy some 00 buck shot and be done with it. Or there is B+T shooting on pearl rd. in middleburg hts. They have good prices also.

I'm liking the Hi Point .38, but also considering a shotgun at this point.

the attraction to the .38 is that I COULD carry it if i wanted to, and ammo is ~$.50 per round rather than more like $1/round with the shotgun.

I don't anticipate going to the range a lot, but i would want to get there every couple months to stay proficient at shooting.

I'm liking the Hi Point .38, but also considering a shotgun at this point.

the attraction to the .38 is that I COULD carry it if i wanted to, and ammo is ~$.50 per round rather than more like $1/round with the shotgun.

I don't anticipate going to the range a lot, but i would want to get there every couple months to stay proficient at shooting.

No matter what you need a shotgun for home defense. The "if I want to carry" is a secondary and if that becomes the case then you'll want to go out and get a GOOD carry sidearm.

If money is an issue I'd suggest shotgun first. If you're thinking of the future go and get a GOOD carry sidearm now.

^ it's also a much easier court case...

At the advice of my cousin (LEO), i'm probably looking to pick up this little guy http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=416057&pdesc=New_England_12_Ga_w/18_1/2_Barrel/Cylinder_Choke_Synthetic_Stock&aID=510D2&merchID=4006

I'm told it's a part-for-part copy of the Remington 870.

I don't really trust the knockoff, for an extra $70 you can get the real deal Remington 870 with 18.5" barrel and synth stock.

But yes, like everyone else was saying, shotgun is #1 in home defense, followed by a pistol.

12ga

18.5" barrel (legal minimum) - for maneuverability inside home

Whatever "shot" you choose to use is up to you - just like handguns, there's pro's and con's to each caliber and type of cartridge.

Please' date=' don't buy a handgun for home defense. That's just silly. A quality shotty is cheaper and more effective.[/quote']

Home defense:

Shotgun

Handgun

Rifle

Edged weapons

Unless you recall that story of the dude killing the BG with a samurai sword...

I've got the wife's "permission" to buy a shotgun, pending hitting the range with a friend of mine. She's not wild about me spending another $250 on a gun when our credit card bill is still inflated from christmas, but these things happen.

I may start a separate "WTB" thread, but if anyone reading this has something for sale, I'll consider any 12 gauge with a 18.5" barrel.

Mossberg 500, Remington 870 and replicas of either are preferable, but given that this is going to be almost exclusively a home-defense weapon, I'm not overly concerned with brand.

Don't get TOO caught up on the barrel length. You'll find HD shotguns cost $100 more than a normal hunting shotgun in some cases...

Even if you're not comfortable with that long of a barrel you can just saw it down yourself as long as you stay longer than 18"

ok - then i'm open to any length barrel, as long as cutting it down to 18.5 inches won't make the barrel longer than the magazine tube :)

You should be fine there! As long as you don't get something silly like a 10 round underbarrel lol.

I have a Mossberg 500 with the large hunting barrel, the 18.5 HD barrel they sell extends maybe 1-2 inches past the magazine tube.

Just remember that chopping off a longer barrel is not going to give you proper choke for whatever shot you're using. Sure you may only be firing 5-25 feet (depending on your house) but do you really want to take any chances with stray shot and a loose grouping?

Get the barrel in the length you want, don't chop.

Just remember that chopping off a longer barrel is not going to give you proper choke for whatever shot you're using. Sure you may only be firing 5-25 feet (depending on your house) but do you really want to take any chances with stray shot and a loose grouping?

Get the barrel in the length you want, don't chop.

I was looking into that stuff... most of the HD barrels are unchoked aren't they? But I agree... you don't take a 18" shotgun to the skeet shoot.