Looking for suggestions on Netbook fix

mello dude

I have a Toshiba "netbook" with the intel atom chip - it has windows XP. I managed to lock it up. It boots up and the get to a point where the pointer and hour glass are just permanantly lock. Ctl +Alt + delete does nothing. I have to hard power off the thing to kill it. -- I have Norton 360 on it.

-Maybe I picked up a virus or something? I'm in Dayton, who/where would you suggest a fix? Boxing it up and shipping to Toshiba - CA is out.

Thanks in advance,

MD

While it's booting up hit F8.

This will take you into "Safe Mode".

From there you should be able to at least get into the machine.

After that it depends on what it does as to what you should do next.

Perhaps doing a "System Restore" from past restore point would be the fastest way to solve your trouble.

Start>All Programs>Accesories>System Tools> System Restore. Follow the prompts to bring it back.

...I have Norton 360 on it.

Not sure what the problem is at this moment but the Norton is a bad idea anyway.

A netbook has very limited resources and Norton360 is a full service fully loaded program.

You need a AV designed for a netbook that uses lots less resources. Such as Nod32 from Eset.

http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php

If you get it back up and running you might want to consider removing the Norton and tryin the NOD32.

^^ what Strictly Street said... and often booting in Safe Mode will let it boot up ok after that.

Norton360 comes with the Netbooks. Mine has it also.

Hmmm, looked like a pretty beefy program, Norton is also notorious for

being a system hog.

The NOD32 was recommended to us by the sales rep @ Microcenter for our Netbook, ours didn't come with any AV preinstalled.

No experience with a netbook here, but as long as you don't have anything you really need to save, do a recovery, that is IF it even has a system recovery partition on it.

I have to agree SWing'r to use NOD32. I've had it for quite some time, and I LOVE it. I don't even know it's there, unless I get an infected junk email.

...I personally don't use an active AV program, and just scan with malwarebytes now and then and any file that I download.

Like rollin the dice do you :p

The idea is to stop a virus/spyware BEFORE it gets you, not after the fact.

Hmmm' date=' looked like a pretty beefy program, Norton is also notorious for

being a system hog.

That NOD32 was recommended to us by the sales rep @ Microcenter for our Netbook, ours didn't come with any AV preinstalled.[/quote']

Odd the the "Sales Rep" thought NOD32 is better, bet he had it in stock to! :)

Often overlooked is ClamWin, free, open source, small and fast.

Works on servers too! I've used if for awhile and have had no troubles with it on a W2k3 box.

Works on XP, 2000 etc. Best of all, it's FREE!!!!!

http://www.clamwin.com/

Like rollin the dice do you :p

The idea is to stop a virus/spyware BEFORE it gets you' date=' not after the fact.[/quote']

Not really rolling the dice when you know what your going to and downloading. In over the last two years or so I've only had one virus get on my pc, and that was more of a malware/popup that I insta caught and cleared off without damage.

Odd the the "Sales Rep" thought NOD32 is better, bet he had it in stock to! :)

Often overlooked is ClamWin, free, open source, small and fast.

Works on servers too! I've used if for awhile and have had no troubles with it on a W2k3 box.

Works on XP, 2000 etc. Best of all, it's FREE!!!!!

http://www.clamwin.com/

Clicks link....

Try holding down the 0 (# zero) as soon as you turn the netbook on. Hold down for 5-10 seconds or until it starts to beep and let off. Along the bottom left of the screen it should flash "HDD RECOVERY" and take you into a recovery partition. From here you can choose to restore to an earlier date or to "recover to out of the box state". I hope this is helpful and works on most all of the other Toshibas I sell although I am not familiar with their netbooks.

Not really rolling the dice when you know what your going to and downloading. In over the last two years or so I've only had one virus get on my pc, and that was more of a malware/popup that I insta caught and cleared off without damage.

I'm the same way, very cautious but nowadays many web pages have nasty scripts that try and load trojans automatically, because of this I will always have an active AV on all my pc's. I also have my cable modem on a desktop timer that has a pushbutton on/off switch so that if something happens I can quickly turn off the modem to sever the link to the internet quickly. This timer also regulates the times that my modem is actually on, theres really no reason to have the modem online during the hours that I'm asleep or not home!

Try holding down the 0 (# zero) as soon as you turn the netbook on. Hold down for 5-10 seconds or until it starts to beep and let off. Along the bottom left of the screen it should flash "HDD RECOVERY" and take you into a recovery partition. From here you can choose to restore to an earlier date or to "recover to out of the box state". I hope this is helpful and works on most all of the other Toshibas I sell although I am not familiar with their netbooks.

Interesting! I'll have to see about that one on my laptop!

Interesting! I'll have to see about that one on my laptop!

Most of the manufacturers have started doing this. For example Acer uses ALT+F10 at power on, Dell is Ctrl+ F11, HP and Compaq use F10 for XP and F11 for Vista. It makes them a piece of cake to wipe clean and return to new out of box state.

If this doesnt work for your Toshiba shoot me a pm with your model and I will look it up at work Saturday. If it requires a "trigger" disk to access the partition I may have that also.