WTB: Canon zoom lens (>200mm)

Likwid

Waffles got me inspired, and I didn't want to threadjack him anymore.

I'm looking for a zoom lens for Canon, would like something that goes up to the 200mm range, not too concerned about the low-end but would prefer not a fixed lens.

Camera body is 1.6 so I'd consider something a little smaller.

Can take EF or EF-S lenses

Fixed or Variable aperture

IS or Non

Basically I'm being a begger not a chooser :) Looking for cheaper lenses, my brother has a Sigma 55-200 for 120 or so.

My daughter is a gymnast, that means no flash, so I am considering renting one in Feb to do a couple meets with. I want to see how my new 55-200 works.

Indoors, the 55-200 is going to let you down. It is a variable aperture up to f5.6. Not too fast for low light. You will be working in low light, and need a fast shutter speed for a fast moving subject too.

What Nikon is it? I might suggest trying a fixed lens, to get a few extra stops out of the lens.

Indoors, the 55-200 is going to let you down. It is a variable aperture up to f5.6. Not too fast for low light. You will be working in low light, and need a fast shutter speed for a fast moving subject too.

What Nikon is it? I might suggest trying a fixed lens, to get a few extra stops out of the lens.

I've heard similar tips, the Canon has a 50mm 1.8f lens that goes for <$100 and people swear by it... might be less than what you need if you aren't up close. My camera body is 1.6 so the 50mm ends up being 80... still not very zoomy

Edited by Likwid

I've heard similar tips, the Canon has a 50mm 1.8f lens that goes for <$100 and people swear by it... might be less than what you need if you aren't up close. My camera body is 1.6 so the 50mm ends up being 80... still not very zoomy

Not zoomy (variable focal length) at all. You're thinking of telephotoey.:D

• 2 weeks later...
Try the 85 f1.2. That's a worthwhile Canon Lens!

I've always liked fixed focal length lenses as they are a great way to get big aperature but not pay through the nose for it. Not to mention the lenses are a lot more likely to be rectilinear. Zoom lenses, especially the one's that cover a huge range, like the 28-200mm lenses have a tendency to distort. You won't notice it unless you shoot a fixed focal length lens and then the zoom at the same focal length but it annoys the crap out of me.

Having said all that. Tamron is an excellent 3rd party manufacturer and I've always thought there build quality was good. I think you'll see their stuff re-branded as things like pro-master and the like sometimes.

The only "trouble" I'm having is at the unzoomed length... 75 x 1.8 = move back. lol

Other than that I've been pretty impressed with this lens

yah the narrower the focal length the more straight everything should be. I had a 28-200 for awhile but was pissed that it was distorted even at 50mm which is not really a wide angle at all.

I have a 19-35mm zoom that distorts a lot at 19mm but I can live with that. It's really just a matter of opinion. It's all better than point and shoot.