race fairings, lots of work

SmokeShank

picked up some fairings from hoblick. they're beat up, but i basically got them for free.

i just started working on them and heres a couple pictures

hole in the side

IMG00090-20100102-2002.jpg

I fiberglassed it shut, and body filled some scratches above it

IMG00093-20100103-1102.jpg

filled in the fiberglass. also filled other small imperfections

IMG00094-20100103-2048.jpg

tail section is pretty beat up. I have to do alot of glassing on this guy.

IMG00105-20100108-1631.jpg

IMG00106-20100108-1631.jpg

sanded down, getting ready to glass

IMG00107-20100108-1659.jpg

IMG00108-20100108-1659.jpg

thats as far as i got today. im going to do more work tomorrow on the tail section (Glassing, filling, sanding). once the tail is done, theres not much left other than sanding everything down, and prep it for paint.

i know its alot of work... but its winter with the bike on the stand and nothing else to do.

the bike as it sits now

Untitled%20HDR%2000.jpg

ill add some more pictures once i get further along

Edited by SmokeShank

looks like my garage last winter..I just like doing this stuff. I went as far as building a set of my own.

the un primered set is the ones I made.

4258325772_3a1b0f4440.jpg

and finished them, working on the rest.

3565544954_af4e6cea3a.jpg

before I buffed it.

3516047529_f15578f403.jpg

all done and painted for the street..

3574610392_e62c5c8bda.jpg

Edited by serpentracer

looks like my garage last winter..I just like doing this stuff. I went as far as building a set of my own.

the un primered set is the ones I made.

4258325772_3a1b0f4440.jpg

and finished them, working on the rest.

3565544954_af4e6cea3a.jpg

before I buffed it.

3516047529_f15578f403.jpg

all done and painted for the street..

3574610392_e62c5c8bda.jpg

how did you make the set of your own?

All I know is that Serpent has some seriously RETARDED MAD SKILLS when it comes to bodywork. He really needs to be making sets to sell. His attention to detail is superb and honestly, I think he could sell some stuff and make good money... Might have to be lesser quality to justify costs and to allow for production speed, but his stuff is (at least via the pics I have seen) top shelf.

how did you make the set of your own?

I used a old set I had to make the molds. with the mold made I can make the finished product.

it's harder than it sounds though. my problem is the molds aren't 100% perfect. and I don't have a vacuum system.

so, without a perfect mold, the surface of the final product needs some final prep work.

and without a vacuum system I'm laying the glass in the old fashioned way, which isn't really a problem but the vacuum would draw the materials closer and wick out extra resin. which results a stronger and lighter part.

I just don't have the garage space to make other stuff. it's really a lot of work too. I can see why bodywork costs as much as it does. sharkskins and others really are justified. they finish them perfectly so they are ready for a show quality paint job. something I found cheaper brands def do not.

I used a old set I had to make the molds. with the mold made I can make the finished product.

it's harder than it sounds though. my problem is the molds aren't 100% perfect. and I don't have a vacuum system.

so, without a perfect mold, the surface of the final product needs some final prep work.

and without a vacuum system I'm laying the glass in the old fashioned way, which isn't really a problem but the vacuum would draw the materials closer and wick out extra resin. which results a stronger and lighter part.

I just don't have the garage space to make other stuff. it's really a lot of work too. I can see why bodywork costs as much as it does. sharkskins and others really are justified. they finish them perfectly so they are ready for a show quality paint job. something I found cheaper brands def do not.

what is involved in making a mold.. ive never seen it done before

i just got down fiberglassing a very beat up lower and tail.........it turned out decent...especially for my first time. Luckily im not too picky thought, its not perfect.

sandpaper and bodyfiller will make anything perfect.

what is involved in making a mold.. ive never seen it done before

basically it's the exact same as making a part..only, the mold is "inside out".

I used this companies website and youtube videos to learn from. they have other videos now showing more advanced techniques such as vacuum bagging.

the other cool thing is, this company is located just north of Dayton, OH.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fibreglast#p/u/24/FCivvXA2FVU

since they are making a part for a model airplane, not every step of what they are doing is going to apply for making something for a motorcycle. you will need to do some improvising. one such thing would be the little box he built. I didn't see a need to make something like that. I did however need to split the lower in 2 parts. or else the part would never come out of the mold because of it's shape. so I had to add a tab to both halves of the mold so I could bolt them together like they did in the video. I just taped a piece of 3/16" MDF board that I cut out to match the contour of the lower..that became my tab of the mold.

http://www.fibreglast.com/

if you already have a set to copy you are golden. they are the "plug" a plug obviously is the part you will copy and is needed to make a mold of. if you don't have a plug...good luck LOL. that's one of the hardest part about making anything.

you could use your stock plastics too. as long as they are not sanded, the resin will not stick permanently to them. there is also a "mold release" agent you can put on a part so the resin doesn't stick to it.

it's called PVA(poly vinyl alcohol) and washes off with water when you are done.

Edited by serpentracer