Woman, 24, kills herself at gun range, deputies say

jagr

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/01/13/new-albany-shooting-range-shooting.html

Woman, 24, kills herself at gun range, deputies say

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:13 PM

Updated: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:51 PM

By Theodore Decker

A 24-year-old woman died this afternoon after shooting herself at the AimHi New Albany Shooting Range, Franklin County deputies said.

"Watch that video, and (it's clear) she's doing it on purpose," Sgt. Bill Duffer said of surveillance camera footage from the range.

Late tonight, the woman was identified by the Franklin County coroner's office as Jacqueline Scott of Summerfern Lane on the Far East Side.

Scott asked to take a first-time shooter's course at the range at 10299 Johnstown Rd. in Plain Township, Duffer said. "They'd never seen her before."

The woman watched a required instructional video and then went to the indoor range to shoot a rented 9mm pistol under an instructor's supervision, Duffer said.

Throughout the instruction, Scott did not seem despondent. After her training, the instructor left her alone to shoot a few rounds.

About 12:30 p.m., she abruptly aimed the gun at her chest and fired, Duffer said. An off-duty Columbus police officer two stalls away rushed over and administered CPR, Duffer said.

The woman was taken to Mount Carmel St. Ann's hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

A salesman who answered the phone at the range this afternoon called the shooting a tragedy and said employees' thoughts were with the woman and her family.

In September 2008, a woman bought a gun at the range and killed herself in the parking lot. Duffer said there was no connection.

Anyone experiencing suicidal thoughts can contact a 24-hour suicide-prevention hot line at 614-221-5445.

tdecker@dispatch.com

sometimes, ranges scare me, for this exact reason. The last time I was at the range there was a fellow that unloaded probably 50 rounds at point blank range into a target, in the matter of 10 minutes.He had his mags loaded and ready, just swaped them and kept on going. It made me uneasy.

Wow, that's crazy. I go in there every once in a while. The people that work there are really nice and helpful. It's too bad stuff like this happens.

its a pyschological thing.. women have a tendency when they do use a gun to commit suicide to shoot themselves in the chest.. they are thinking ahead to when they are being viewed they dont want to look bad...(im not being morbid.. or making a joke)

You are absolutley correct.

it's sad that she chose to end her own life, but at least she didn't take anyone with her.

I have to admit, right when we got to the range today, I sized up everyone there ASAP. Luckily it wasn't crowded.

I'm not naive enough to think I can spot anyone and everyone who might be problematic, but I certainly try...

My favorite range is my parents house in the country.

Mine too, well not your parents but mine. :)

I have to admit, right when we got to the range today, I sized up everyone there ASAP. Luckily it wasn't crowded.

I'm not naive enough to think I can spot anyone and everyone who might be problematic, but I certainly try...

I do that too, everywhere. If I go out to eat, whenever possible I sit facing the exit and with the best view of the room.

^ are you related to Jason Bourne? ;)

lol, no force of habit. I don't take it to the extreme, but I try to be aware. People do crazy stuff and I don't want to be caught off guard. What if the women shot someone else first. You might only get once chance to be caught off guard.