Jalopnik: GM Looks To Offer "Build Your Own Engine" Program For Corvette ZR1

Disclaimer

This isn't even a program yet, but the concept is pretty sweet.

GM Looks To Offer "Build Your Own Engine" Program For Corvette ZR1

500x_generic_you.jpg

Remember when Jalopnik built a 638 HP LS9 V8 for a Corvette ZR1? Cool, right? Well, GM's considering a program to let ZR1 buyers do just that. It's a totally awesome idea that's every super car buyer's wet dream.

During one of the many booze and schmooze events surrounding the Detroit Auto Show, a GM official let us know they were considering letting ZR1 buyers put together the very engine destined for their car. That sentiment confirmed to Jalopnik by Tom Read from GM's Advanced Powertrain Technology Communications — telling us "we are considering this program."

Though only a possible program at this point, it would allow buyers an unparalleled opportunity to have a hand in creating their own super car. It's one of the ideas floating around "new GM" we think should be put into place as soon as possible. Talk about an amazing way to connect customer to product.

Our guess is Read's floating the idea with us to hear what you, the commenters and enthusiasts, have to say. So, let 'em know what you think in the comments below.

Now, lets get the initial comments out of the way like:

"Why would I assemble my own engine when I'm paying $100k to get someone else to do it?"

"Warranty policy for 'build your own' program" - that is an unknown, I'd assume it'd be a supervised build and warranty would still be valid

Yada yada yada.

So - what do ya'll think? Cool or not? Would you take advantage of this if you had the coin for a ZR1? What about if they offered it for your next bike purchase?

Sounds to me like government motors is stealing jobs from well deserving union members.

It'll never get off the ground.

ROFLMAO.... see, this is where we can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious... but this is completely within the realm of something you'd say seriously!

ROFLMAO.... see, this is where we can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious... but this is completely within the realm of something you'd say seriously!

Serious or sarcastic, doesn't really matter in this case. Read it the way you want.

That being said, it's ludicrous to think that some schmo building his "own" ZR-1 motor would really affect some overpaid union schlub's job, but that's the union mentality. I've been there, and I've seen it.

Eh, just make the car a little cheaper and I'll pull the engine out and rebuild it to MY specs when I feel I need more power anyway.

Sorry, I just have to ask. Your going to 'upgrade' from forged crank and pistons, and fucking Ti rods to what exactly? Unobtainum? It's killing me I've gotta know.

:popcorn: This is what I like about this place.

As soon as something comes 'from the factory' the first thing the pros and amateurs alike say is "I'd do it better" or "It needs to be made to my specs". Some can make good on those threats/promises, most can't.

And now king LSx motor himself - Dweez - has called you out Mr. Porter... do tell us all the shortcomings of the LS9 which you'd modify or change for more power.

Your serve has been returned - can you return the volley?

On a side note, the actual assembly of a motor is cake. anyone could do it, especially with a seasoned pro saying 'torque this, put this here, slide this over this etc etc'. The complicated part is making everything work together in unison. selecting a camshaft that works good with the head flow and compression ratio, pistons that have crowns that exploit the burn of the combustion chambers and so on and so forth. That part is all taken care of. All the customer will be doing is basic assembly, of probably pre-assembled parts.

Sorry, I just have to ask. Your going to 'upgrade' from forged crank and pistons, and fucking Ti rods to what exactly? Unobtainum? It's killing me I've gotta know.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match, as I was just generalizing.I never said anything about strengthening the bottom end. I know that LSx engines are pretty tough in general. Are you telling me that are no improvements to be made to that engine?

I would rather buy a standard vette and build my own engine. What part of that didn't you get from the "sell it to me at a lower price" part of my comment?

The complicated part is making everything work together in unison. selecting a camshaft that works good with the head flow and compression ratio, pistons that have crowns that exploit the burn of the combustion chambers and so on and so forth.

DUH! Maybe they have wrung every last bit out it they can? How often do you see that from a production engine, especially and American engine?

Don't shit talk Chevys around Dweezel. That shit just sets him off' date=' something fierce. :lol:[/quote']

Show me where I shit talked them... I'm a Chevy guy, although I will admit that there ares some things they fall short on. That can be said for ANY manufacturer.

Super cool idea' date=' but it'd absolutely have to be done under crazy amounts of supervision. Warranty issues aside.. liability would be off the charts.

Side note: I worked for SeaRay Boats when I lived in Florida. They let you build your own boat, from scratch, on your days off. You were allowed to buy all the parts at cost. Quite a few guys did it. That would be awesome. Same concept as the Corvette thing, but going a little further.[/quote']

why the hell didnt you do it? going to the show this weekend?

Serious or sarcastic, doesn't really matter in this case. Read it the way you want.

That being said, it's ludicrous to think that some schmo building his "own" ZR-1 motor would really affect some overpaid union schlub's job, but that's the union mentality. I've been there, and I've seen it.

dont say union. please say a uaw worker. not all unions are the same. ok.