first time (really) shooting

redkow97

Finally got to the range today with a friend of mine. This fulfills my wife's requirement that I "know what i'm doing" before I purchase a gun.

I owed Ray plenty of money for Browns tickets he's refused to accept cash for, so I told him to bring whatever he wanted, and I'd pay for ammo and range time.

I was surprised he only brought the 9mm and the .45

Having never fired a hand gun, i started off with the 9mm, and was aiming way low. I've always heard that the tendency is to aim high with a hand gun, but I guess I was over-compensating, or failing to account for gravity. It's also a lot harder to tell where you're actually hitting than I ever anticipated.

Moving to the .45, I was worried about recoil a lot. I think I've watched that "hot chick gets owned by Desert Eagle" video on YouTube one too many times. I actually found the .45 pretty 'civilized,' and not that much harder to control than the 9mm

we split a box of ammo thorugh the .45, and then I went back to the 9. I can't tell if it was just because I'd had more practice, or because the 9 was easier to control after the .45, but my grouping was pretty decent :)

The only thing i'm a little disappointed about is that I was sure I wanted a shotgun before going, and now I want a hand gun too... probably multiple hand guns...

Glad to hear you got your first practice in. Have you fired a shotgun as well? Depending on what your needs are, home defense, personal carry, plinking, hunting, will decide on what kind of firearm you need (first). And remember, safety first.

102jia9.jpg

Firearms are like tattoo's, can't have just one?

firearms are a lot more expensive...

this particular range didn't allow shotguns. Is that common?

home defense is my primary purpose. fending off the neighbors when the dollar collapses is my secondary purpose. cheap enough ammo that I can stock up for said collapse of the dollar is also something i'm considering :p

firearms are a lot more expensive...

this particular range didn't allow shotguns. Is that common?

home defense is my primary purpose. fending off the neighbors when the dollar collapses is my secondary purpose. cheap enough ammo that I can stock up for said collapse of the dollar is also something i'm considering :p

Get a shotgun first then. After that, get you a nice 40 or 45

What make/model did you shoot? What are you looking at buying?

Yes it is common for some ranges to only allow handgun caliber's and small rifle (think .22 cal) caliber's to be shot, not shotgun rounds. However I think you can shoot shotguns at Blackwing.

the .45 was an older Springfield Armory model. Automatic, but still has the hammer that people don't like, because it gets caught on your shirt when you carry.

If i had to guess, I believe it was this model:

PW9609L.jpg

I believe the 9mm was a glock. I was more concerned with where it was pointing than who made it...

I was looking at a Remington 870 copy. 18.5" barrel, as pictured above.

handguns are just so much easier to store and handle...

Edited by redkow97

What range did you go to? Since your location says parma I assume it was northeast somewhere? B&T does not allow shotguns and riverside also does not allow them. Think the only range around that allows them is stonewall, I dont know about sherwin shooting on vine st?

So when we going shooting?