Failure rates at Ohio BMV driving test locations

Disclaimer

Read this in the ex-local paper.

Started with this brief article: http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20100124/NEWS01/1240301/1002/Mansfield-tough-on-driving-hopefuls

Then you get to the nitty gritty data here:

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20100124/NEWS01/100124001/1002/Data-Center--Failure-rates-at-Ohio-BMV-driving-test-locations?appSession=782192818001054&RecordID=&PageID=2&PrevPageID=2&cpipage=1&CPIsortType=desc&CPIorderby=Pct_driving_fail

I've always been a proponent of bringing Euro driving tests over here, but that'd open a whole new can of worms. Are the test centers too hard on drivers in some areas of the state, or are some centers overly easy?

What's sad is, parking isn't part of the test now. Righ around when I turned 15 they changed it to the cones. So now you start in a box of 4 cones with 1 cone in front of you about 1 car length. You have to pull up and parralel then back up... similar to parking but not the same imho

What's sad is, parking isn't part of the test now. Righ around when I turned 15 they changed it to the cones. So now you start in a box of 4 cones with 1 cone in front of you about 1 car length. You have to pull up and parralel then back up... similar to parking but not the same imho

Yep, that's what I took. I think it's a lot easier than parallel parking. I do remember my driver's ed instructor was pretty easy. It was supposed to be I think 2 hours of in car driving per day, but I'd usually get out after an hour, an hour and half. I don't remember my test at all. Both my driver's ed and test were done in Newark, 9 years ago.

what's funny is my driver's ed class taught us a trick for the cones... pull forward until the front cone is at your front pillar. turn the wheel 1 & 1/2 turn to the direction, when the cone passes your door return the wheel and go 1/2 turn the other direction... perfect EVERY time.

They had us practicing on the last day, I recall doing this @ around 10-15 mph after 15 minutes of "practicing"... I took the test in my mom's 1st gen Land Rover.

interesting read, personally I think the driving tests should be harder. I took mine at Garfield where the maneuverability was high and I was almost apart of that statistic for doing it too fast and with one hand on the wheel. The guy told me he should have failed me for that but was impressed I guess?

interesting read, personally I think the driving tests should be harder. I took mine at Garfield where the maneuverability was high and I was almost apart of that statistic for doing it too fast and with one hand on the wheel. The guy told me he should have failed me for that but was impressed I guess?

Didn't you take the test 2 weeks ago? I didn't know much has changed!