Wireless Router

DLN1223

anyone have any suggestions for a good wireless router?

I just got a netbook from verizon and looking for something for home so i can use it.

time warner wants 5 bucks a month to change my std cable modem to wireless.

might as well buy one at that.

I don't have that one but my netgear router has worked perfectly. I love being able to block everything but my 2 computers from connecting to it. so my neighbors have to go buy their own internet.

I love having micro center around here. way better than going to best buy and comp usa (when it was in business) and all those little hole in the wall stores like laptopworld over by tri-county mall.

Edited by serpentracer

Can't go wrong with a linksys, usually. That's what we have at work, router, switch, and access point. Just a small network, peerto peer, with about 8-10 computers connecting through it.

For what it sounds like you'll need it for, you won't need any more than a "g". I rarely do anything that uses enough speed to need any more than it will do, and then I just go to the desktop that is wired.

what about g, n, n+?

n > g > b. n+ is not a standard. If your netbook has an 'n' adapter, might as well get an 'n' router

...I love being able to block everything but my 2 computers from connecting to it. so my neighbors have to go buy their own internet....

Look here for a 10 minute project to screw with thieving neighbors by turning their browser upside down if/when they're on your network. You could also become a man-in-the-middle and see everything they're doing. Just for fun, of course, you wouldn't actually make use of their online banking or credit card info....:D

...For what it sounds like you'll need it for, you won't need any more than a "g". I rarely do anything that uses enough speed to need any more than it will do, and then I just go to the desktop that is wired.

If he's doing any file transfers, music/video streaming, etc. on his home network he will definitely notice the difference, and the 'n' routers have much better effective range both indoors and out.

Now that the 'n' standard is actually a standard, no reason not to use it, imho.

Never used Netgear personally but have read good things about them.

Yup, October 2009. Not "draft n" any longer. Hasn't really changed in 3 years.

Yeah, from what I had read, all of them were pretty well standardized anyway, it just wasn't official. Good info to have!

I do have to mention a quirk of the linksys router we use at work, it's a WRT54g which is a very common one. Once in a while, we have to reboot it. Very randomly, sometimes it twice a day, sometimes once a month. For some reason, anything wireless keep working, but nothing attached through the wired ports will work.

Yeah, from what I had read, all of them were pretty well standardized anyway, it just wasn't official. Good info to have!

I do have to mention a quirk of the linksys router we use at work, it's a WRT54g which is a very common one. Once in a while, we have to reboot it. Very randomly, sometimes it twice a day, sometimes once a month. For some reason, anything wireless keep working, but nothing attached through the wired ports will work.

I've had good luck with that same Linksys model as well, have it at home and work.

Home one I never have problems with, the work one does need re-booted every so often too like J's.

Linksys products seem to talk to each other very well.

I've terrible luck with a recent Linksys Wireless NIC card though. Causing BSOD's nonstop, tried every fix except a clean Windows re-install. Had to disable until I get time to re-do everything.

Have them go with Tomato or OpenWRT firmware instead of the stock Linksys code. If the ports works after a reboot, that's telling me it's a software issue..not a hardware issue.

Have them go with Tomato or OpenWRT firmware instead of the stock Linksys code. If the ports works after a reboot, that's telling me it's a software issue..not a hardware issue.

That's what I was thinking, too. I am the one that maintains all that stuff, and until I have used it myself, I'm not going to put a third party firmware on it. It's a later version, too.

Sounds like someone's torrenting. The default router config keeps track of the number of connections for up to 5 days, and it sounds like you're running out.

+1 to Inya and Tomato. Simple to install and it works. Find it here (Click).

I understand your concern...but trust me on this one. Tomato and WRT are BEYOND better than the Linksys code.

Google is your friend..I wouldn't lie to you.

I know they are better, just call me lazy! Right now I have to try to get the PC in the alignment machine working reliably again. It's an old Win95 machine. I think all that's wrong is the CPU cooler fan going south, just haven't gotten to it yet.

That's what I was thinking, too. I am the one that maintains all that stuff, and until I have used it myself, I'm not going to put a third party firmware on it. It's a later version, too.

If your router is not on the supported list, try the Linksys site to see if there's a newer version of the firmware. Or, bounce the thing every morning when you get to work.

Sounds like someone's torrenting. The default router config keeps track of the number of connections for up to 5 days, and it sounds like you're running out.

+1 to Inya and Tomato. Simple to install and it works. Find it here (Click).

No torrents, there are only 2 of there that even know what a torrent is.

Actually, I'll have to ask if the other person is running torrents when he's there....

I had a belkin router (not a wireless router) before and I had to reset it constantly to get a connection.

I'm sure they are better now but I don't care. my netgear router I never have to look at. it just works.

and it's a old one. wgt624 v.2.

108mbps firewall router. my downloads speed tests come back in the 5mbps ranges. right where my provider claims. so it's plenty fast enough without all the latest stuff.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessGRouters/WGT624.aspx

Edited by serpentracer