Windows or Siding Companies

jayjie15

Hello, awaiting my amazing tax return so I can purchase some new siding, windows, and gutters for my house. I was just wondering if anyone out there had some recomendations for a good company or a company they had a positive experience with. I am new to the whole home ownership thing so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am in northeast Ohio in Willoughby. Thanks again!

Stay away from the big companies.

This is good advice. Hire a small company (or the guy he knows) that does it, home improvement type people/companies. That way you are hiring someone that isn't hell bent on selling you their window, they will help you pick out a good window from a variety of makers that they don't have any ties to and you won't get raped.

I know a couple small companies that my parents used for their windows and such. I really don't know what is cheap and what is not though. I have about 9 windows with only one being a picture window. I have heard around $250/ window is average, with the picture window being around 6 or 7 bills. I just don't want to get boned with shotty work or poor service. Good advice so far guys.

Here is what you ask any contractor you are considering

Are you licensed?

Are you insured?

Are you bonded?

Do you carry workers compensation insurance?

How many years have you been in the window, siding, gutter business?

Who can I call as references?

Where can I see some samples of your work?

How long do you warrant your work?

Do you provide a written warranty?

Who do you bank with?

Can I call your bank for a credit reference?

I worked for a commercial building supplier for many years and can tell you Anderson windows are not worth the cash. They do offer a pretty good warranty but I would rather not have any problems to begin with. On 1 of my homes I had Lowes install Pella replacement windows about 7 years ago and I have not had any problems with them at all and would even recommend them.

Window World for your windows. The come w/lifetime guarantee against breakage, even if your kid tries to throw a baseball through them. I had all 20 windows on our old house replaced by those guys. Quick clean work! $300/window is the installed price for double hung, argon gas filled, UV, windows.

I've been in the Window and Door Industry for most of the last 20 years. I've sold machinery to virtually every company in North America that makes vinyl, aluminum or wood windows.

If you use a small company, get referrals - there are a lot of people out there that put windows in that they didnt build and don't know shit about them. They fuck up the install, and the manufacturer wont warranty the product when there's a problem.

Some things to look for when selecting your windows are:

A welded uPvc frame and sash

Insulated (Double Pane) Low E glass

Argon filled

The "Energy Star" rating is being replaced for building products with new standards, so look for something that meets a "30/30" rating or better (the lower the number the better the rating). The National Fenestration Rating Council website www.nfrc.org has a lot of information regarding energy efficiency as it relates to window and door products.

I can't help you much with contractors, but if you have several different manufacturers to pick from on the windows, shoot me a PM and I can tell you who's product is better.

Well I am having the people who did my parents windows come and give me a quote. Also, I discovered a lady I work with husband does windows and has owned his company for a while. Plus, I will giving scottb's friend a call. Figure I may just pick a couple local companies out of the phone book just to compare. Thanks everyone for the help.