CCW .45 Recommendations

Hwilli

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may want to post more information than ".45 only" and "I don't like composite guns"...

IE: are you saying 45 only because you're a 45 snob or because you honestly believe it has the best expansion and is worth any sacrifice in weight, stack, etc etc?

Based off the information you've provided you have a choice of 1911 or a 1911.

Why come here and ask for recommendations when you've already made up your mind. Based off your post, Im guessing youre not that familiar with pistols and have based your .45 choice off of nothing but the fact that you want a "Big Gun".

Another worthless thread.

Why come here and ask for recommendations when you've already made up your mind. Based off your post, Im guessing youre not that familiar with pistols and have based your .45 choice off of nothing but the fact that you want a "Big Gun".

You obviously haven't met Howard yet............................ :lol:

why not 9mm?

go all out and get a Ultra Compact 1911 say, Kimber.

you set no price range?

Kimber Ultra Compact is on the radar. I've also been looking at the Para LDA CCO, but have been reading some sketchy reviews.

My intention of this thread was to get people who carry a .45 to give their opinion on the guns they carry, and offer recommendations. It was not to start another why which caliber is better discussion.

Also if you are suggesting my only option based on my very limited description of "I want something in .45" equates to only a 1911.. I'm sure you aware that all 1911s are not equal.

Eat a dick?

Anyone else besides Curby have anything useful to add?

I had an original Detonics for a while. Nice piece for what it was. If I ever find another one, I'd probably pick it up.

The Springfield Micro's are looking pretty good, but jesus that stuff has gotten fucking expensive since I've been gone.

There are plenty of 1911's in small sizes out there that should do the job just fine. Seems like the only thing to decide these days is how much you want to spend.

howard check out the Glock 36

Fail.

Dude said he doesnt want any composite guns.

You know, I felt the same way for quite a while. I've got one now, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Not from the "composite gun" standpoint, but from the "how it works" standpoint. Seriously, I'm not 100% sure I'd be comfortable carrying it with the lack of a "real" safety. I'll have to see if I can warm up to it.

I am going to be picking up a .45 solely for carry. I am generally not a fan of composite guns, but may give them a second look. .45 only. I don't want .40 or 9mm.

Thanks,

H

Fail.

Dude said he doesnt want any composite guns.

Sounds like he's open to the possibility.

, I'm not 100% sure I'd be comfortable carrying it with the lack of a "real" safety. I'll have to see if I can warm up to it.

I felt the same way..so I made sure any holster I bought did an excellent job of covering/securing the trigger when doing IWB or ITP. I go as far as making sure I don't carry anything in my pockets or my person on the side of my body that I'm carrying on.

I love the fact that if I ever have to draw, it's ready to rock...regardless.

to me the glock has the right amount of safety.

i practice drawing my glock, and dont see how i could ever accidently fire before aiming at my target.

i personally dont want any safety being a disadvantage if i need to defend myself.

so minimizing the safety is what i like.

plus why wouldnt anyone want a composite gun for a carry. they are much lighter. i dont understand why people wanna lug all that weight around with them

I felt the same way..so I made sure any holster I bought did an excellent job of covering/securing the trigger when doing IWB or ITP. I go as far as making sure I don't carry anything in my pockets or my person on the side of my body that I'm carrying on.

I love the fact that if I ever have to draw, it's ready to rock...regardless.

I've got an XD, and I know the trigger safety AND the grip safety have to be active to fire the pistol, but I've still got this mental issue to get over of not having an "locking" safety.

I never had that issue with any of my 1911's cocked and locked. I guess having to make that move (sweeping the safety off) was a security blanket of sorts that I got used to.

I'll have to see how things go with the XD.

plus why wouldnt anyone want a composite gun for a carry. they are much lighter. i dont understand why people wanna lug all that weight around with them

Tactile feel. i have shot many different composite guns. Craig has a very nice H&K USP in 9mm. It shoots very tight groups, but I cannot stand the way it feels in my hand.