Stupid Freakin' Ice, or who designs cars to buckle at a slight tap?

Artmageddon

So, I've been complaining a lot about stupid drivers when it is snowing, and it came back and bit me in the ass. Went to go pick up a drunk friend last night, driving my truck through my very poorly plowed, ice covered neighborhood, hit a patch of ice and then a tree. :mad:

Was going about 20-25 miles per hour, Hit some ice, spun left 90 degrees, crossed the road and sledded into a tree. Was maybe doing 5 mph at impact, Didn't even set the airbag off. Was pissed because I figured my truck would have a small dent now. Got out to inspect, and to my surprise the whole freakig bumper was crushed in. Ridiculous that it is that frail and it just accordians and snaps all the plastic bolts and tabs and crap.

Just got done stripping the bumper off the truck, Luckily no damage to radiator, hood, and didn't move the fenders or anything. Biggest part of the assembly is plastic, and it did pop right back out, not even scratched and only tore a few of the fasteners that are hidden. Metal part is fucked.

It was pretty funny to go back this morning and see my license plate sitting on top of the snow pile. Tree didn't even have a bit of bark damage.

So is our OR body guy, or anyone have a hookup for Ford parts? :) Don't even think I'm going to claim it on insurance, Would like to just get the parts, get them painted, and throw them on myself.

picture.php?albumid=459&pictureid=9620

Vector Victor and Bodyman come to mind. They are both on Brice rd.

Somebody here has to have a hookup at a ford dealership though.

Sorry about your luck Art. No good deed goes unpunished. I hope your dude at least offers to chip in to fix your bumperage.

Yeah uh, it's designed to do that so you don't feel it. Keep in mind, that was a tree and said tree wasn't about to move. All of that energy was immediately transferred to the front of the truck. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. It may seem like a lot of damage in a low-speed collision, but the way that bumper and the rest of the front end act in a high-speed collision is important. :)

Or you could've bought a Chevy. :D

Just messin' man, sorry about your misfortune.

A Chevy would have probably exploded on impact. :p

Nah, I'm not a brand snob, I've had Chevy's, Fords, Jeeps, Toyota's. I get what ever I like at the time, but my last 2 have been Ford's.

Yeah uh, it's designed to do that so you don't feel it. Keep in mind, that was a tree and said tree wasn't about to move. All of that energy was immediately transferred to the front of the truck. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. It may seem like a lot of damage in a low-speed collision, but the way that bumper and the rest of the front end act in a high-speed collision is important. :)

Oh, I get it, just would rather have it made like some old steel 50's beast that would have chunked the tree and barley scratched the car.

Oh, I get it, just would rather have it made like some old steel 50's beast that would have chunked the tree and barley scratched the car.

Oh those can still be arranged. For cheap too. :D

You got off lucky, I tapped a steel guardrail at 15 mph and ended up replacing a headlight, bumper, foam, crashbar, fog lights, grille, brackets, and wiring. Uber pwnage for such a small impact.

That sucks. Make the drunk friend pay for it. Lol.

Check with Kevin at Clifford Automotive. He'll hook you up.

Nope, not his fault, and I would do it again for him any time he asked. He's had a few mishaps, his next DUI is serious prison time.

Just glad he's finally asking for rides rather than being an idiot.