Miss me yet?

justin0469

http://www.startribune.com/politics/83886117.html

Bush billboard on I-35: "Miss me yet?"

By BOB VON STERNBERG, Star Tribune

Last update: February 9, 2010 - 10:03 AM

Looming over the southbound lanes of Interstate 35 in Wyoming, Minn., is a grinning portrait of former President George W. Bush, asking "Miss me yet?"

At a time when President Obama's approval ratings are cratering, the billboard appeared mysteriously, with no one claiming credit for it.

But it has raged virally across the Internet, with a Google search resulting in more than 100 million hits Tuesday. The billboard was first reported by Minnesota Public Radio blogger Bob Collins Monday morning. He took a photo of it while cruising past, about 30 miles north of downtown Minneapolis.

He tried, unsuccessfully, to come up with the billboard's provenance.

Collins wrote: "It's beginning to sweep along the Internet, accompanied by various claims that it's a Photoshop fake. But it's not. It's real.

"There's no billboard ownership plate on this particular billboard, making tracing the person who had the cash to post it difficult to find. It's time to crowdsource this puppy." No such luck as of mid-morning Tuesday. But the viral explosion of the billboard continued, posted by such disparate sites as the Huffington Post and USA Today. The billboard is standing 13 months after Bush left office, a time when Obama's popularity has slumped. A Marist College opinion poll published Monday found that just 44 percent of the nation's registered voters approve of his performance.

miss-me-yet-billboard.jpg