02 Olds Bravada

dustinsn3485

Steer away from price a bit for now, I can haggle price all day with the guy.

I'm looking more for mechanical issues and problems. I don't need it, I don't need to get rid of my car. It just caught my eye, but I don't know much about the Bravada. Are they reliable, repair bills going to start to suck with the mileage, are there known problems with the AWD? Those are the types of things I'm interested in right now.

FWIW private party value is $5800 on KBB and $5700 for clean trade in on NADA. But still I will negotiate price. Because the car will be for trade with it. It's through a small independent dealership. My car is valued at $5500 for clean trade on NADA.

Edited by dustinsn3485

I'm assuming it's the 4.3L V6. Those engines are pretty bulletproof (Basically a GM350 with the front two cylinders lopped off) aside from known head gasket issues around the 60k-80k mark.

So I'd definitely check the coolant and oil to make sure they are intermingling. It's not an expensive fix so much as it's a time consuming fix.

I have snapped a front halfshaft before too, but those parts are cheap ($80) and pretty easy to replace - at least on the Gen1 S-Series (I did it on an '89 GMC Jimmy). The Gen1 bodies were prone to rust too, but the Bravada would be Gen2 so the rusting should be minimal. If the body and undercarriage are solid - it should be pretty reliable transportation. Hell, any of the vehicles based on the S-Series (or T-series) trucks should have TONS of cheap parts available for any fixes you need, they haven't changed any of the Gen2 stuff (other than cosmetics) since '95.

Plus, being an Olds, you get all the interior luxury goodies that the GMCs and Chevy's didn't get - which can be blessings and curses on their own, more just inconvenience issues that don't affect drivability than anything else.

I'm assuming it's the 4.3L V6. Those engines are pretty bulletproof (Basically a GM350 with the front two cylinders lopped off) aside from known head gasket issues around the 60k-80k mark.

So I'd definitely check the coolant and oil to make sure they are intermingling. It's not an expensive fix so much as it's a time consuming fix.

I have snapped a front halfshaft before too, but those parts are cheap ($80) and pretty easy to replace - at least on the Gen1 S-Series (I did it on an '89 GMC Jimmy). The Gen1 bodies were prone to rust too, but the Bravada would be Gen2 so the rusting should be minimal. If the body and undercarriage are solid - it should be pretty reliable transportation. Hell, any of the vehicles based on the S-Series (or T-series) trucks should have TONS of cheap parts available for any fixes you need, they haven't changed any of the Gen2 stuff (other than cosmetics) since '95.

Plus, being an Olds, you get all the interior luxury goodies that the GMCs and Chevy's didn't get - which can be blessings and curses on their own, more just inconvenience issues that don't affect drivability than anything else.

That's correct it's the 4.3

Bulletproof as in whats the mileage before it needs an overhaul or pops. Obviously assuming it's already in good shape been up to date on oil changes, the head gasket is ok, etc. Is 200K possible out of it without any major problems?

What about the transmissions and the AWD. Are they going to be problematic at all?

What about fuel mileage? Is it capable of 20mpg combined?

I'm trying to decide if it's an upgrade an equal or a downgrade from my current...2004 dodge stratus with 67K to a 2002 bravada with 109K for what's going to end up being an even trade more or less.

I don't know hard facts on when they need major overhauls... I mean, I know a guy right now that got one of these for like $200 with a blown up engine - I think he said it was spun bearings, due to that dreaded coolant+oil = bad that I mentioned earlier. It only had 70k or 80k on it. He's rebuilding it from the bottom up, but he builds drag race engines for a living, so it wasn't a big deal for him.

So, YMMV, but they use these 4.3L V6's in the GM S-Trucks, Full-size trucks, Delivery vans, Marine, Power Generation, etc.

http://www.gm.com/experience/technology/gmpowertrain/engines/specialized/industrial/2010_4300_Industrial.pdf

I mean, this single engine is pretty robust to handle all those duties.

AWD system: I don't know the intricacies of that over the push-button 4WD on the other S-Trucks. My S-10 had an issue with the encoder motor that was replaced under warranty, but it serves the function of engaging/disengaging the transfer-case from the vacuum actuator - with an all-time AWD system, I don't know if you'd have that issue since it NEVER diengages. I don't think you'd have an issue with the transfer-case as long as you're not hotrodding it and cruising 85mph everywhere. The heat is what'll kill those.

Fuel mileage. Ha! My last fuel stop I calculated 13.5MPG - Granted I only drive 2.5miles in city traffic to get to work. The best I ever got out of it, all-highway was 20mpg. I think you'll average around 15-16mpg assuming you keep your tires properly inflated and have a tailwind everywhere you go. :p

2002 SHOULD be the new body, more of a midsize than the previous generation. They used the 4.2 inline. They're pretty reliable. We have a few customers with these (Trailblazers, which are the same thing) and don't see much going wrong with them. Tie rod ends, wheel bearing assemblies, a few misc issues that are present across the GM line (evap vent valve, etc...)

Transmission is a 4l60E, been around for 20 years prior to that model year, lasts a couple hundred thousand most of the time, engine seems to be really durable. There's not much I can knock on with them, as long as it's in good shape, well maintained, and not been beat to hell.

I guess 2002 was the first year they didn't use the 4.3L V6 (not based on the S-Series). My bad.

I don't know much about the 4.2L I6s. '02 was the first year for those engines, right? It's been on Ward's Top 10 engines from 2002-2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward%27s_10_Best_Engines

2002 was the first year for those motors, there were problems, and some were retrofitted with better cylinder sleeves:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/archive/index.php/t-52457.html

The 2003s and newer 4.2 motors will last much longer.

btw, I have a 2004 Trailblazer 4x4 LT. It's been solid.

Edited by Tpoppa

The AWD will not get 20 mpg. You'll be lucky to see 16. It will also eat tires.

My uncle had an astro AWD (4.3, 4speed auto) and he had all kinds of trouble with the tranny/AWD setup. Not saying that this set up will give you the same kind of issues, but if it was me, I'd be looking for a selectable 4wd option. I've never been a fan of full time 4wd.

2002 was the first year for those motors, there were problems, and some were retrofitted with better cylinder sleeves:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/archive/index.php/t-52457.html

The 2003s and newer 4.2 motors will last much longer.

btw, I have a 2004 Trailblazer 4x4 LT. It's been solid.

So with 2002 being the first year for the motor and having cylinder sleeve issues doesn't sound too exciting.

The AWD will not get 20 mpg. You'll be lucky to see 16. It will also eat tires.

My uncle had an astro AWD (4.3, 4speed auto) and he had all kinds of trouble with the tranny/AWD setup. Not saying that this set up will give you the same kind of issues, but if it was me, I'd be looking for a selectable 4wd option. I've never been a fan of full time 4wd.

I'm been a little turned off by the AWD the entire time. I have been thinking the same thing.

only things i can think of is make sure the front end is tight. gm trucks/suvs are known for eating suspension components. And on another side note if the oil pan on a 4wd 4.2 ever leaks have fun. The front axle runs through the pan.

if the oil pan on a 4wd 4.2 ever leaks have fun. The front axle runs through the pan.

Ahhhaha... now I remember. My aunt has one of these and that was what happened. It's a goofy design because of the engine dimensions. They needed to lower it to get it to fit under the hood, so the only option was to have the axle run through the pan.

Good catch.