And so It begins.... Bring On the FISH!!!

cmoosego

Well It's Lent for us crazy Catholics, and it's fish fry FRIDAY time again... Every week during the Lenten season we are holding our East side famous fish fry. Food starts rolling @ 6 pm and goes till the fish runs out or the people do. As always the event will be held @ the hall (4217 E. Main st, whitehall, Oh. 43213) The dinners will be 8 bucks, (all you can eat) deep fried (special breading) ocean perch, with cole slaw, fries, and rolls, mac n cheese, and probably some homemade desserts. This Friday is the kick-off meal... I hope to see many of my friends that have supported us in the past. Thanks in advance and see you all there!!

I was raised Catholic, but I don't consider myself a practicing Catholic any longer.

As I understand it, the point of not eating meat was meant to be a general fasting. There wasn't much else to eat BESIDES meat when the tradition started, so you were pretty much living off bread and water - and you only had so much bread.

I've also heard (wish I could cite my source - i'll look for it) that the Papal dispensation for being allowed to eat fish on Fridays was a direct reaction to the Roman fish marking completely tanking during Lent. The economy was suffering, so suddenly it was ok to eat fish.

That kind of thing is what irritates me about Catholicism - the fact that they won't just acknowledge the truth about some of their beliefs and traditions; like, oh, I don't know - maybe Jesus didn't perform miracles, and wasn't the son of God. Maybe he was just a really wise and good person who we should all strive to emulate. Instead they try to convince me he walked on water. I find it insulting to my intelligence.

But I do love fish fry season :)

I was raised Catholic, but I don't consider myself a practicing Catholic any longer.

But I do love fish fry season :)

I understand where you're coming from. I was also raised Roman Catholic, but do not presently practice or attend church on a regular basis. I have my misgivings with the church, as with most organized religion, but I also don't see a need to find another religion as I am secure in my belief of God and many of the teachings of my youth. And, I too enjoy fish fry Fridays

Your post did remind me of a bit by the great George Carlin . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gPt0HSNbUg

I'll try to come out to one of these after I come back from Brisbane. Moose, you ever think of having a sushi section of fish rescued from being put down the fryer? :) That would be yummy. :D
I don't have the first clue how to prepare it brotha, I wouldn't want anyone to get sick because I did something wrong... If you don't want it deep fried I suppose I could broil/ grill some for people if you want...but it'd be a special deal and you'll have to let me know in advance...;)

I understand where you're coming from. I was also raised Roman Catholic, but do not presently practice or attend church on a regular basis. I have my misgivings with the church, as with most organized religion, but I also don't see a need to find another religion as I am secure in my belief of God and many of the teachings of my youth. And, I too enjoy fish fry Fridays

Your post did remind me of a bit by the great George Carlin . . .

YouTube- George Carlin: Special Dispensation.mpg

Our fish fries are open to the general public, you don't have to be catholic to enjoy.... although I would be more then happy to discuss any misgivings any would have with the Church.. and try to explain where the Knights stand on things..or myself for that matter...:)

I don't have the first clue how to prepare it brotha, I wouldn't want anyone to get sick because I did something wrong... If you don't want it deep fried I suppose I could broil/ grill some for people if you want...but it'd be a special deal and you'll have to let me know in advance...;)

Preparing sushi is ridiculously easy. First, you get a pair of those plastic novelty asian glasses, then a set of Ginsu knives. Begin frantically fragmenting fresh fish for filling faces of frenzied flock. Furnish fish over rice.

^ Moose - i might take you up on that. I embrace the church's teachings, I just don't believe in some of the more literal references in the Bible; namely that Jesus was the 'son' of God.

I think the gospels employ the same techniques Jesus himself used in teaching: parables. Exaggerate Jesus's life to the point that it shows a clear message on the proper way to live. The miracles give him credibility, etc. In 600 AD, I understand the need. In 2010, I wish the church would be more open to the idea of acknowledging that the message is paramount to the story.

Preparing sushi is ridiculously easy. First, you get a pair of those plastic novelty asian glasses, then a set of Ginsu knives. Begin frantically fragmenting fresh fish for filling faces of frenzied flock. Furnish fish over rice.

Yea, I do that all the time! :rolleyes::confused: