Dubai seeks global dragnet for Hamas slaying

InyaAzz

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Dubai police appealed for an international manhunt Tuesday after releasing names and photos of an alleged 11-member hit squad accused of stalking and killing a Hamas commander last month in a plot that mixed cold precision with spy caper disguises such as fake beards and wigs.

Dubai authorities said they would seek assistance from the global police coordination agency Interpol and press individual nations to hunt down the suspects in the killing of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh, whose body was found Jan. 20 in his luxury hotel room.

Dubai's attorney general, Essam al-Hemaydan, said international arrest warrants have been issues for those accused of links to the slaying.

Police say the 10 men and one woman traveled to Dubai with European passports and killed al-Mabhouh less than 24 hours after their arrival.

Hamas has accused Israel's Mossad secret service of masterminding the slaying and has vowed revenge.

Dubai's police chief, Lt. Gen. Dahi Khalfan Tamim, did not directly implicate Israel at a news conference Monday to announce new details about al-Mabhouh's death. But he noted the possibility that "leaders of certain countries gave orders to their intelligence agents to kill" al-Mabhouh, one of the founders of Hamas' military wing.

At least two Palestinians have been taken into custody in Dubai for alleged links to the slaying, said Adnan Damiri, the police spokesman in the West Bank, citing sources familiar with the investigation.

Damiri said the Palestinian suspects were Hamas operatives. But Hamas claimed the suspects were linked to the rival Fatah movement of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas as part of alleged clandestine links with Israeli intelligence.

Dubai police did not immediately respond to requests for details on the reported Palestinian arrests.

Meanwhile, there was no comment from Dubai-based diplomats from the countries linked to passports carried by the alleged assassin cell: six with British, three Irish and one each from France and Germany.

Dubai police claimed that four members of the alleged cell — three men identified as British and one Irish — carried out the killing. Five others, including the woman, were used as spotters and in other planning roles, police said. The mastermind was a man identified as French.

The Consul General of France in Dubai, Nada Yafi, declined to comment on the case.

Tamim's news conference attempted to create a full narrative of the plot — including surveillance video clips — from the suspects' airport arrivals to their hasty departures before al-Mabhouh's body was found in Room 230 at the Al-Bustan Rotana Hotel near Dubai's international airport.

Tamim's account portrayed the suspects as operating with chilling efficiency — arriving in Dubai at different times, checking into different hotels and tailing al-Mabhouh from the moment of his arrival in Dubai to when he entered his hotel room. Some of the suspects even rode in the same elevator as al-Mabhouh to verify his room number and later booked a room across the hall, Tamim said.

They paid for all expenses in cash and used different cell phone cards to avoid being traced, Tamim said.

In the surveillance footage, the female suspect appears to be wearing a wig and at times a big hat and sunglasses to blend in as a tourist. Others also were seen disguised as vacationers, wearing baseball caps or tennis outfits and carrying rackets. Tamim also said some suspects donned fake beards.

He said forensic tests indicated al-Mabhouh died of suffocation, but lab analyses were still under way to pinpoint other possible factors in his death. Hamas initially claimed al-Mabhouh was poisoned and electrocuted, but later a Hamas leader, Mohammed Nazzal, denied that poison was used.

The killing itself took just 10 minutes, Tamim said.

Four assassins later entered his room while he was out, using an electronic device to open the door, and waited for al-Mabhouh to return.

Tamim said they were careful not to disturb anything in the room and left the door locked from the inside to try to hide the fact that they had broken in.

The team then headed for the airport, some of them flying to Europe and others to Asia, he said. All were out of the United Arab Emirates within 19 hours of their arrivals.

He did not say whether any of the suspects have been formally charged by prosecutors in Dubai, one of seven semiautonomous emirates that make up the United Arab Emirates. But local charges would be needed before the suspects could be added to the Interpol database or to begin any possible extradition efforts in the future.

A Hamas statement last month acknowledged al-Mabhouh was involved in the kidnapping and killing of two Israeli soldiers in 1989 and said he was still playing a "continuous role in supporting his brothers in the resistance inside the occupied homeland" at the time of his death.

Israeli officials have accused al-Mabhouh of helping smuggle rockets into the Gaza Strip, the coastal territory ruled by the militant group.

Top Hamas figures have denied reports that al-Mabhouh was en route to Iran, a major Hamas backer. But the group has not given clear reasons for his presence in Dubai.

Dubai police issued a document identifying the suspects and their nationalities. They are: Michael Lawrence Barney, James Leonard Clarke, Jonathan Louis Graham, Paul John Keeley, Stephen Daniel Hodes and Melvyn Adam Mildiner of Britain; Gail Folliard, Evan Dennings and Kevin Daveron of Ireland; Peter Elvinger of France and Michael Bodenheimer of Germany.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/slideshow/ALeqM5iwVdaYpYsBz7wKRCUxpcqhtjr31AD9DT7K5O0?index=0

ALeqM5hc1gI0Hgp8Ec8KD24Wuw13LRqVVw?size=l

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On one hand, I understand why he was killed...but on the other hand, I can't support sending operatives into a sovereign country to assassinate someone. Even though it would be convenient to label the target a bad man and saying he got what he deserved, doing so would mean taking the moral high road. What's to stop someone from coming to this country and doing the same? I'm certainly not shedding a tear for this guy...but Mossad might have crossed the line (again).

Eh... it's a thin line' date=' for sure. We do it all the time. Right, wrong? Who knows, but Israel isn't the lone wolf in these practices. They're kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't, though.[/quote']

I was waiting for someone to point this out. We used to do this shit all the time to Castro, and I'm sure other Communist puppet regimes back in the day before it was expressly outlawed in this country. Then again, so was warrantless wiretapping, and look where that got us.

Israel's never been big on publicized justice. Just look at the Black September assholes that went after the Munich Games. I'm sure Mossad is still after (or would still like a shot at) the one man they missed. On the other hand, if they do nothing, then they just embolden their aggressors.

We've done it before (and I'm sure we still do), but that doesn't mean we should or shouldn't be doing it. Also, don't think that this assassination makes anyone think twice about killing a Jew. Let's not get it twisted...this was about revenge against Hamas. If Israel was interested in justice he would have stood trial for whatever crime (and now that I've looked deeper into his past, I can't say that he deserved to be taken out, more so than others who have blatantly gone after civilians. Could be wrong on that) they accused him of. This was murder, not deterrence or justice. Thin line for sure, but let's not get confused and think Israel was delivering justice in this case.

We've done it before (and I'm sure we still do), but that doesn't mean we should or shouldn't be doing it. Also, don't think that this assassination makes anyone think twice about killing a Jew. Let's not get it twisted...this was about revenge against Hamas. If Israel was interested in justice he would have stood trial for whatever crime (and now that I've looked deeper into his past, I can't say that he deserved to be taken out, more so than others who have blatantly gone after civilians. Could be wrong on that) they accused him of. This was murder, not deterrence or justice. Thin line for sure, but let's not get confused and think Israel was delivering justice in this case.

Point well taken, my post wasn't clear. It was revenge-based, and not about meting out justice at all. I stand corrected.

When exactly was Israel after justice ?

When they kidnaped the land ?

or when they killed it's people ?

or are they after justice with what they doing now ? kicking people out of their homes to put jewish people in it ? or destroying mosques and churches for what ever they are supposed to build in that place ?

When exactly was Israel after justice ?

When they kidnaped the land ?

or when they killed it's people ?

or are they after justice with what they doing now ? kicking people out of their homes to put jewish people in it ? or destroying mosques and churches for what ever they are supposed to build in that place ?

This isn't an Israel bashing thread...or even an middle east history lesson. I was talking specifically about the Mossad's (allegedly) killing of a Hamas leader in a sovereign country.

I can go on and on about atrocities on both sides...but that wasn't the intent on this thread.

This isn't an Israel bashing thread...or even an middle east history lesson. I was talking specifically about the Mossad's (allegedly) killing of a Hamas leader in a sovereign country.

I can go on and on about atrocities on both sides...but that wasn't the intent on this thread.

i was just carried away a little , you are right it's not the topic thread, my apology

no it's FUCK YOU asshole, stfu

and if there is a fagot , it's you

Edit: and i am originaly from Palestine you mofo

We couldn't tell.

If you're going to be angry at anyone, be angry at Britain. They owned the land that you call "Palestine" before Israel existed.

Also, I thought you were going to calm down and stay on topic here?

Ironic that Israel became the dominant sovereign and militaristic nation they are because the "Palestinians" couldn't stop rioting and killing people :rofl: This is before the Holocaust, mind you. Originally, the whole area was populated in relative peace. The problems only started in the 20s.

The people in the Gaza strip would have you believe Israel just waltzed in and sat down in '47... totally not the case.

We couldn't tell.

If you're going to be angry at anyone, be angry at Britain. They owned the land that you call "Palestine" before Israel existed.

Also, I thought you were going to calm down and stay on topic here?

I am calm down, but if he is gonna " Fuck palestine " he will get that reply, it doesn't mean i am angry, and England gave the Jewish the right to start Israel on the land i am with you on that, but Israel is who Killing/ murdering and all that at the moment, so why would i be angry at Britian ? it's like being angry at who ever invented Electricity because of the electric chair ....

anyway I won't get back to this , unless if someone motivated me :D i wana keep thread on topic please

Ironic that Israel became the dominant sovereign and militaristic nation they are because the "Palestinians" couldn't stop rioting and killing people :rofl: This is before the Holocaust, mind you. Originally, the whole area was populated in relative peace. The problems only started in the 20s.

The people in the Gaza strip would have you believe Israel just waltzed in and sat down in '47... totally not the case.

wait wait, are you going off topic " AGAIN " ? i can answer that with this, what prove do you have that palestainian killed whoever in the 20's ? i think my great grandfather was kinda in his 20's in the 20's and no one ever said anything about even wars in the area, untill the revelution which was against the turkish people, then Britian promised the land to Jewish who started Israel on it, and if i remember currect the belfore promise or how ever you spell that word was for " part of the palestinian land " but Israel didn't stop there, they want all of it, but i would love to hear your side of story about the killing in 20's ? maybe we should start another thread, or take that somewhere else other than then post so people can be on topic ?

wait wait, are you going off topic " AGAIN " ? i can answer that with this, what prove do you have that palestainian killed whoever in the 20's ? i think my great grandfather was kinda in his 20's in the 20's and no one ever said anything about even wars in the area, untill the revelution which was against the turkish people, then Britian promised the land to Jewish who started Israel on it, and if i remember currect the belfore promise or how ever you spell that word was for " part of the palestinian land " but Israel didn't stop there, they want all of it, but i would love to hear your side of story about the killing in 20's ? maybe we should start another thread, or take that somewhere else other than then post so people can be on topic ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1920_Palestine_riots

In any case, the fact that you're feeling "truely sad" about some terrorist asshole who sponsored rocket attacks on civilian targets, fired from school playgrounds, gives me the distinct impression that I want nothing to do with your further opinions, so for the sake of the community's good spirits I'm just going to IL you and move on.

Where in the palistenean territories are you from?

The fact that you defend Hamas is what gets you the reactions, if you're ignorant enough to defend a terrorist organization you're just going to make your "home" country even more hated. Your better bet is to educate people...