Hyperpro springs

Hoblick

i was thinking about upgrading the rear shock of the VFR to handle more of a load for 2 up and loaded luggage. came across hyperpro.

how good is the brand, and will i get what i need out of changing the front springs/fluid and the rear spring

instead of changing out the entire rear shock?

im not concerned about better handling, cause obviously i havent ridden the bike to its limits yet, im more interested in just having a better setup for more weight. the stock stuff is fine for just me and unloaded luggage, but put me and the wife and full luggage, it feels like its bottoming out some.

id rather spend $279 and then labor on the forks to get put together, and me change the rear spring out, then $900 on a new rear shock a plus $169 for the front springs and fluid plus labor.

http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.php?cat=Springs&make=Honda&model=HONDA+VFR+800+Fi+V-TEC+with+ABS+02%3E&model_name=HONDA%20VFR%20800%20Fi%20V-TEC%20with%20ABS%2002%3E&springtype=COMBI-KIT

How good is Hyperpro springs? They are on every Penske shock sent out. Penske shocks are one of the top two shocks (If not THE top shock) in privateer racing. I also believe they are used on Penske shocks in use with Indy cars and other race machines using Penske.

I'd say they have a really good reputation and you won't be dissapointed.

As for changing the springs, it can be tough w/o the proper tools. You could pull them and I can take them to and from 35 Motorsports for free. You get 20% off labor and Reuben can change the springs, change the oil (which is probably WELL past due) and get you sorted. If there's an application for your machine, he can do it.

Give him a hollar.

As for using springs that aren't very well recognized? Be leary of MX based spring companies. My money has always been on Ohlins or Hyper springs for motorcycles being used on the street/track. There are other good ones out there, but you;re not going to go wrong with Hyper...

Edit: MY BAD!!! Damn... I gotta do a better job reading things... I was thinking you were asking about HYPER - C-O. Hyperco are the springs on Penske shocks, etc....

http://www.hypercoils.com/

Sorry about the misleading info...

Hyperpro has been around, but not a lot. They were up against a lot of nig companies and never really took off. I have no idea what they are about other than when they were more about steering dampers than anything... They had some issues with ones locking for no reason and that got them pushed away by a lot of racers at the time. Sure that has been fixed...

And don't forget - Reuben has the proper equipment to test the spring's rate before he installs them. He makes damned sure you're getting what you paid for!

I'm taking a friend's VFR800 to him this week so that he can get the forks done with the proper rate springs for his riding style.

And be careful if you want to change your own rear spring - can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and aren't using the proper equipment. Reuben has a custom made rear spring compressor / changer stand so you know it'll get done right.

I have Hyperpros on my FJR. I got them after 75k miles on the original stock springs. They're awesome and one of the best upgrades I did for that beast. I had them installed at their HQ in Corona, CA for about $375 for all parts and labor.

I immediately noticed that I was sticking turns and the bike was a lot more responsive. (My bike has no steering damper so the springs are really important here.) It also helped when I was on long distance runs; I felt that the bike was a lot more stable on the straights. They worked great riding 2-up as well.

The value is great, too. I guess Hyperpro works on so many bikes that they can do that. The big thing is that if you're buying them online, be sure to get the right spring stiffness in relation to rider weight. That makes all the difference. Otherwise, drop them in and enjoy!

While I have no experience with their shock or fork springs I do have an opinion on Hyperpro. About eight years ago I bought one of their adjustable steering dampeners for the 1200S Bandit that I had. All parts were included and everything fit like a glove, the fit and finish were great and the damper worked great. I was very happy with the money that I spent on their product.

I'm running Hyperpro's in the forks and also with the Penske rear. Working out pretty good. A spring upgrade is a good first step in upgrade in suspension. - Might as well add that I've gone way over and above that with Traxxion Dynamics valving on the front too.

MD