Question about welding.....

mrbret

Cool.

Next question is where to got a good / cheap welder (& whatever else is needed) from?

Is it worth looking on e-bay or better to buy new?

www.harborfreight.com

Everything there is crazy cheap... not the highest quality, but if you aren't looking at using it on a daily basis for the next 10 years... you'll be alright with their stuff...

Harbor freight has a reputation for being cheap and I have not had good luck with anything from there. I would look for either a miller or a lincoln welder. They are usually the best brand on the market. If you want something less expensive you can try sears. A friend of mine bought a craftsman welder from there has had good luck with it. do not buy a flux core welder. A welder that uses gas will help you learn faster and help the finished product look better.Also make sure that the welder is rated to weld the correct thickness.

"Poor people buy everything twice."

Quality costs more but it lasts longer.

Keep this old saying in mind when you shop at Harbor Freight.

Try usaweld.com you can order MIG and TIG training videos from them and see which system is right for what you want to do.

Here is a Popular Mechanics article on some Hobart welders.

Check out the Hobart site here.

I'v welded in the union for a while ...Make sure not to buy a flux welder "junk"..I could help you get started. I know a couple of dudes selling welders I think they are miller one of them mig and tig same machine. Might be big $$$$ I'll ask and let you know.He also has cheap GIANT hobart tigs w/ water cooled handle old but works great and it weight about 330 pounds!!

so was he rockin my bike? hmm wonder when you saw him? he only rode it for a sec! but can't really miss it huh?;)

We saw him right by the garage where we had waited for him to come get you that night about 11:30 - 12:00'ish

I did not realize it was him at first then it clicked & I gave him a big wave.

From what I could see it looked good. You out Wednesday?

Cool stuff Angrish. Not looking to spend to much right off, I may be crap at it or not like it & dont want to be stuck with all the crap.

I've got a mig welder (a Hobart, same thing as a Miller welder) and love it.

Like Rocky stated, if you use Argon Gas you'll learn a little bit faster and have cleaner welds as well as better penetration then just flux wire! ;)

I got my welder local here in Columbus at a place on Parsons Ave right off of 71... you can see it from the freeway.... I can't remember the name of the place??

I've got a Hobart Handler 150. It uses flux from the factory but comes with the mig conversion. I did it right away. Go to a gas distributor and buy a tank (big or small). I got the big because we do a lot of welding. Make sure you switch the wires in the welder for mig welding. Nice thing about the Handler it runs off 115V so you can take it anywhere and use it. It will weld 1/4" easy and I've already welded 3/8 rod to 5/8 rod. It's not the hottest but will do the job, unless you want to weld 5/8" consistently. I got mine at Rural King. Not sure if you have one down there. TSC also sells them or you can get them online. I think it was around $460 just for the welder. Then somewhere close to 200 to buy a tank. Get an auto-darkening mask. I use harbor freights and it works dang good for 50 bucks. And some good gloves. an apron is quite nice also to keep your nuts in tack.