wtb: Canon 430EX II flash

exSRAaron

Yeah, can you run all the cheaper ones off shoe? I'd be interested in cheaper models for sure..I actually havent looked into flahes much on POTN but I figured the 430II is a great one to start off with.

Yah for sure, I got a YN-465, it's manual and e-ttl compatible. I've also run it as a slave with a cheapo china filter and it fires every time.

60$ I'd recommend it for sure if you're not looking for a super awesome professional flash (not saying the 430 is one).

There's lots of pictures of it on the interwebs, or I can take some pictures of it if you need.

I was thinking about a 430 as well. I'm NOT going to buy a cheap-o Chinese knock off. I MIGHT get a Sigma Super though. I just don't trust the cheap-o's to not damage my camera, and replacing a 40D is a bit more than replacing one of the Rebel series cameras.

One nice thing about using Canon branded flashes is running multiples is pretty simple.

I was thinking about a 430 as well. I'm NOT going to buy a cheap-o Chinese knock off. I MIGHT get a Sigma Super though. I just don't trust the cheap-o's to not damage my camera, and replacing a 40D is a bit more than replacing one of the Rebel series cameras.

One nice thing about using Canon branded flashes is running multiples is pretty simple.

That's something that really does need to be researched before you buy one. Any of the older cheapo's are likely to damage.... but the YN-465 is made for digital cameras.

I tested with a multimeter as well, never puts out dangerous voltage, highest I saw was 4-5

That's something that really does need to be researched before you buy one. Any of the older cheapo's are likely to damage.... but the YN-465 is made for digital cameras.

I tested with a multimeter as well, never puts out dangerous voltage, highest I saw was 4-5

I'm still not going to go that route. I'm sure that a company like Sigma would work with Canon to make sure that their flash will work, and probably pay the proper licensing fees to be able to legally say that their flash is for Canon. Unless I was to use a pocket wizark to trigger it, or something.....

I'm still not going to go that route. I'm sure that a company like Sigma would work with Canon to make sure that their flash will work, and probably pay the proper licensing fees to be able to legally say that their flash is for Canon. Unless I was to use a pocket wizark to trigger it, or something.....

Understandable. I mean, I trust a manufacturer like Toyota is big enough to work with the NHTSB to provide safe vehicles that stop.

Or that Firestone works with Ford to make tires that don't explode.

Or that ... well you get the idea.

Everything is perception and risk. You put a certain trust in Sigma & Canon, I'm willing to risk it.

Understandable. I mean, I trust a manufacturer like Toyota is big enough to work with the NHTSB to provide safe vehicles that stop.

Or that Firestone works with Ford to make tires that don't explode.

Or that ... well you get the idea.

Everything is perception and risk. You put a certain trust in Sigma & Canon, I'm willing to risk it.

:wtf: are you talking about? Totally off in left field for the topic at hand. More relevant would be putting chinese made brake pads on your VW, pads from a manufacturer that may not even be known to VW, and not be up to their safety specs.

Again, if I still had my Rebel, I might risk it, but the 40D is a bit too much to replace if somethin would go wrong.

:wtf: are you talking about? Totally off in left field for the topic at hand. More relevant would be putting chinese made brake pads on your VW, pads from a manufacturer that may not even be known to VW, and not be up to their safety specs.

Again, if I still had my Rebel, I might risk it, but the 40D is a bit too much to replace if somethin would go wrong.

50% of my post was giving you shit

50% was serious

I think the comparison you made above is a little off. It'd be more like the 70s when people ONLY USED GM PARTS... ya know what I mean?

50% of my post was giving you shit

50% was serious

I think the comparison you made above is a little off. It'd be more like the 70s when people ONLY USED GM PARTS... ya know what I mean?

Yeah, I figured you were just being yourself (an ass :lol:)

The GM parts thing is a MUCH better comparison. Although, when I built my Camaro engine, I used almost all GM parts, with the exception of the bearings, gaskets, and intake manifold!) right down to the oil filter! If I had it to do again, I know I could make quite a bit more power for less, but that's another story.

If it makes you feel any better, the 2 zoom lenses that I use all the time are Sigma's. I can't afford Canon L glass.

Not on the flash topic, but I got the chance to use a friends 100-400 f/4 canon lens to shoot my daughters gymnastics meet last weekend. Never figured I would put my hands on a big white lens. It took some awesome shots, not qute fast enough, but took great pics. I have the 55-250 IS lens, and it takes great pics also. I would like to get a 70-200 f/2.8 if she stays with the gymnastics and soccer, but the glass is high, so I may have to settle for Sigma or Tamron.

Not on the flash topic, but I got the chance to use a friends 100-400 f/4 canon lens to shoot my daughters gymnastics meet last weekend. Never figured I would put my hands on a big white lens. It took some awesome shots, not qute fast enough, but took great pics. I have the 55-250 IS lens, and it takes great pics also. I would like to get a 70-200 f/2.8 if she stays with the gymnastics and soccer, but the glass is high, so I may have to settle for Sigma or Tamron.

I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. It's a really great lens for me. It could not justify (afford, either) the Canon "L" version, since this is just hobby stuff for me. I also have the Sigma 1.4x teleconverter that I use with it. I have used this combo up at Mid-Ohio with the old Digital Rebel, before I got the 40D, and I got some nice shots.

And for that sir I am very grateful :metal: Well after doing some more research I decided to give the YN465 and some RF602 remotes a try, and for still have the price of a 430 used, I'm pretty damn happy. :)

glad I could help :) let me know what you think of it!