10/07 - 10/08 First Trip to Deals Gap

sonavabeech

I've only been riding around for a couple of years but this was the BEST RIDE EVER!

My husband and I went with a group of 10-12 bikes. They were all on cruiser but I really wanted to take those curves on my sportbike. I hauled mine down in the truck and everyone else road down on their bikes. I drove back last night because I just couldn't stand to miss a day at work today. Everyone else is heading back to Ohio this morning.

We stayed at Pigeon Forge and Deals Gap was about 80 some miles away from there. After it was all said and done, I wish we would have stayed closer. I think we stayed in that area b/c of availability/pricing/bright lights :eek:

We headed for 129 yesterday morning around 9:30 and got to the general area around 11:00. Gorgeous scenery. I was able to absorb it all traveling with all the cruiser at a slower pace.

Just before we got the the beginning of the Tail, we broke into two groups. The first groups was for those who wanted to go faster and the second group was for those of us who wanted to go slower and/or if it was our first time there. I chose to go with the second group and my husband stuck with me to make sure I would be alright. How sweet!

Sticking with the cruiser slowed me down alot, but for my first trip down there, I believe that was a good thing. I was able to give myself space to take some curves faster and that gave me quite a rush.

No one in our group went down. There was a green Ninja zipping around us alot. I think he past us about 2-3 times as he went back and forth. We heard he eventually laid his bike down pretty bad.

Once we all got to Deals Gap. We had lunch, blah blah blah. The rest of the group were going to continue on to Robbinsville and then go to some Skyway something something and then head back to Pidgeon forge. I broke from the group to head back so I could load my bike up and head back to Ohio.

From Deals Gap, I took 28 to Bryson City to 19 to Cherokee to 441 up through Gatlanburg to Pigeon Forge. The 80 mile trip took 3 1/2 hours. I got stuck in a long line of cars going up 441. Going through Bryson City and Cherokee sucked. I should have went back the way we came! I have a lot of soreness in my hands and arms and it seems like my finger tips are still numb. I think all that was from getting stuck riding with all those cars through the Smokey Mountain National Park on 441 going through down hill curves at 15 mph for about 2 hours. Man that sucked! I won't do that again.

Long story short, great trip!

Ohio-Riders should organize an annual group trip down there!

I didn't take any pictures but I think someone's else's wife did. I remember seeing her on the side of the road taking pictures. Hopefully she will share.

There is this photographer that sets up and takes pictures and you can view them on his/her website and buy any pictures if you want them. www.zeefoto.com. It looks like they upload the photos weekly. I'll be looking out for our pictures to see how they turn out.

I didn't take any pictures but I think someone's else's wife did. I remember seeing her on the side of the road taking pictures. Hopefully she will share.

There is this photographer that sets up and takes pictures and you can view them on his/her website and buy any pictures if you want them. www.zeefoto.com. It looks like they upload the photos weekly. I'll be looking out for our pictures to see how they turn out.

Killboy and his group are usually there taking pictures as well.

http://www.killboy.com/destiny.html

They lost all of the pictures they took from one day of our trip last year. I think they said they lost a hard drive or something. :(

I think 441 is part of the Blue Ridge but not sure.

You should have went to the Skyway. I like that road 10 times better then the Gap. Curves are still numerous, and they are more open for better sight and more forgiving then the gap. Plus with less chance of someone else taking you out.

Glad you had a safe and fun time.

I think 441 is part of the Blue Ridge but not sure.

You should have went to the Skyway. I like that road 10 times better then the Gap. Curves are still numerous, and they are more open for better sight and more forgiving then the gap. Plus with less chance of someone else taking you out.

Glad you had a safe and fun time.

Ahhh, the skyway...I have dreams about that road. :)

I like riding the gap a few times then hitting the skyway so I can "open it up". The curves are more predictable on the skyway...constant for the most part. And you're right...less people...less chance of someone taking you out.

Either way...I miss that place.