bow hunting

e-flores

i am not blaming it on the bow i just havent had anything to shoot at since i bought it...

Do be so quick to not blame it on the bow!

If the person was a smoker the strings on bows hold sent like a sent pad, Dynema is a very absobent material. You or I might not be able to smell it but it could still be there.

:zombie thread:

I have no clue what kind of crossbow it is, but what do I need to know about firing it and more importantly, picking up the appropriate ammo (bolts, arrows, quarrels, whatever the real appropriate term is) in order to have an operable crossbow. I saw some longer arrows, some smaller arrows, most of them come without tips, etc. I'm clueless here. :confused:

Anyone school me on Crossbowin'? Plzkthnxbai

OK If it does not readily say it on the bow, what it is, you need to take it to a shop so someone can take a look at it. Secondly, do you know the poundage the limbs are on the bow? This will make a difference in the bolts you buy for it, this can be explained to you in better detail when a techy at a shop looks at it. third. You can measure for bolt length. From the back of the bed on the bow (that top split on the shelf were the arrow goes all the way back into the cocking mechinism) to the front. Then add approx. one to two inches for appropriate broadhead clearance.

This would be much easier if I could see the bow in person. I am doing my best to explain...

Got any pics?

This is the one thing I can argue with anyone on since I have been a level 1 archery instructor for the past 6 years and have shot for Bowtech and Hoyt. I also make custome strings if anyone needs a set... But yes I do charge. Dynema products keep climbing in price.

Edited by Beegreenstrings

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can probably get pics when I visit for Christmas, but that'll kind of make getting him some bolts for Christmas impossible. Oh well, better to be safe (and right) than sorry. I'll do some more digging into the bow itself and restringing, etc and then report back here.

I can probably get pics when I visit for Christmas, but that'll kind of make getting him some bolts for Christmas impossible. Oh well, better to be safe (and right) than sorry. I'll do some more digging into the bow itself and restringing, etc and then report back here.

You definately dont want to get too weak of a bolt, scary enough on a 60-70lb bow let alone a 150lb crossbow.

does it have wheels on the limbs (i.e. a compound crossbow)?

This is what I shoot on a regular basis. For now...

Then yeah I am going with you need to get it checked out by a techy. They can look to see if there is any delamination going on plus they can check that string. If even remotely looks like it has fur on it, it probably needs replaced. + feel it when you see it again. If the string feels dry and sharp like a razor it needs replaced.

It is going to be a standard crossbow (with the wheels on the limbs it is a compound crossbow - multiplies the energy with the pullies), This thing could be a "MAN's" crossbow! If it's a 175lb pull on a standard limb, holy shite! I had one I won and got rid of it the next day.

+1 to beegreenstrings.. Take it to a shop and have it checked. If it doesnt have cams (wheels) then I have a feeling it may be ubber old. I would be concerned with the limbs as well if they are that old and have just been sitting somewhere collecting dust/moisture over the years. To be honest, based on its age, you may end up sinking more money than its worth into it and better off to consider buying a new one if you really want to bow hunt.

If you do get it up and working in safe order and are going to hunt with it, make sure to use fixed blade broadheads. Dont use expandables with a crossbow.

Im a fan of the 100 grain Muzzy MX3's,

This is what I shoot on a regular basis. For now...

Damn thats a sharp looking target bow. Of course all those shiny parts may scare bambi away in the woods. :)

If you ever make it to columbus for a shoot, let me know, I'd be glad to stop out and get some pointers. I missed a damn buck this year at 25yards and couldnt figure out what the hell happened. Elevation was dead nuts and I shot 1 ft to the left of my aiming point. After it was done, I checked my bow and realized the locking lever on my site was unlocked and the site had moved. Im sure coupled with a messed up site and me not following through with my form and making sure I anchored correctly was the reason. Now I havent had anything worth shooting within 70 yards.

Don't worry I dont use that in the woods when I am putting the smack down on Bambi. I have a 03 Supertec that I did some Frankenstiening to. Still screams and is dead nuts quiet.

Yeah you have to watch the sites especially when they are adjustable. I use spot hog hoggit's and took the thumb screw out of the one I use all the time and put in the allen screw with blue lock tite becuase of that reason. Kept backing out when it was in the case on long rides.

I am in Columbus a lot, with the woman going to OSU. She shoots over at A1 a lot with a local Pro.

I shoot at Southeastern Ohio sportsmens Club. One of the few indoor 50yard ranges. The fiance and I actually shoot for the owners.

Don't worry I dont use that in the woods when I am putting the smack down on Bambi. I have a 03 Supertec that I did some Frankenstiening to. Still screams and is dead nuts quiet.

Yeah you have to watch the sites especially when they are adjustable. I use spot hog hoggit's and took the thumb screw out of the one I use all the time and put in the allen screw with blue lock tite becuase of that reason. Kept backing out when it was in the case on long rides.

I am in Columbus a lot, with the woman going to OSU. She shoots over at A1 a lot with a local Pro.

I shoot at Southeastern Ohio sportsmens Club. One of the few indoor 50yard ranges. The fiance and I actually shoot for the owners.

Like I said. Let me know and Ill come shoot. Practice is always good.

Do be so quick to not blame it on the bow!

If the person was a smoker the strings on bows hold sent like a sent pad, Dynema is a very absobent material. You or I might not be able to smell it but it could still be there.

meh, i keep all my stuff as scent free as possible including all my bow gear, and im a non smoker. the last couple of years i have had a hard time finding a decent place to hunt on a normal basis. right now im working with a 5 acre piece of land that i claim pretty much as mine. ive been working with it last season and this, last year i was having a hard time keeping the deer around i knew they were there because i could see them in the neighboring lots but i was having a hard time pulling them out in the open. mostly it was hard to get them to feed in my area because they had plenty to eat everywhere else. but i knew they were there. but all last summer i tested and tested on foods to feed them and did some scouting around the area to find out how they moved around in the area and i learned a ton. and with all the proteins i pumped into them they have gotten quite a bit bigger this year :D still not able to get the one i want close enough to kill with a bow though. i have had a couple of good opportunities on does but ive been sitting and waiting on my big boy. the closest he's been to me is a little over 80 yards and that was when he was bedded down with a doe. he just laid there in the open for a good 30 minutes :cry: but hes around which is nice. if i dont see him soon though im going to claim a doe just for the sake of my first bow kill.

I hope I bag the big bastard I jumped yesterday down at dillion wildlife area. He was bedding down I jumped him twice but missed my one shot as he flipped and I missed him. He was a biggun. left about a 4 foot oval from where he was laying in some winter wheat. I plan on going down to see if I can jump another one as I think he was shot after I tracked him for a few hours.

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=12816

Edited by speedytriple

Dont get me (or 250bunny) wrong, we are far from veggie tree huggers, we are not going to come out & protest or scare the deer off or anything (and for any of you about to say something like "if you did i'd....." just f'ing dont. I dont hunt deer but you start making threats & the deer seasion will be one hunter less).

If you really feel that hunting deer is the only way to stop them breeding etc then you are just a little less clever than the deer.

Just admit it (if you can) you do it for fun, nothing more, nothing less.

I know it's old but what is this crap about?:nono: Sure it's fun but most hunt because they enjoy it and because they like to eat it.

most hunt because they enjoy it and because they like to eat it.

Yep...

Nah, actually I am a blood thirsting crazy bastard that only sticks deer with a bow and arrow to watch them bleed out! I feel I am a medevil bastard in the wrong place at the wrong time! I only like to kill! :cool: (before some dumbass gets on a box of tide, I AM KIDDING)!

Now back to the other comment(s),

Most people say those type of things becuase they have never been in those situations. I have actually had tree hugging M-F'ers show up where I was hunting before. Acting all stupid and dumbass retard like! Funny thing was they did exactly what I needed! I shot the buck thanks to them becuase they scared it right back to me! It was running back toward my vehicle when they started honking their horns. He turned came right back at me! I had to laugh and as I field dressed him and drug him out I laughed at them. My brother showed up to help me out. We loaded him up and I laughed at them. I asked who was honking the horn and everyone got quiet. Oh yeah by the way the tards were dumb founded when I came dragging him out! Everyone was dead quiet! I told them that it was OK! They helped the situation and I just wanted to thank the guy that scared him back to me...

It was AWESOME to see their faces when they found out their dumbass stunt helped me put yet another 140+ buck on the wall and fill my freezer... STUPID fuks! They even had the wildlife officer there. Which I know like my uncle! He laughed and told the guy, I guarntee I cannot get him on anything, becuase he doesn't do anything wrong. Hell I help them out when they need it, doing overwatch for them on certain fields from time to time, even ride alongs.