Ripping sound at high rpms

berggren7

I ride a stock 2008 zx6r. I have noticed that my bike makes a ripping/tearing sound when my engine is running at high rpms (12,000+) It doesnt seem to be affecting the performance, it runs fine. I am pretty sure that it wasnt making this sound durring my first 6000 miles or so. Any suggestions on what this could be? I would greatly appreciate any tips

Wounder what your bike would sound like @ 12k let me know

when you try it....:)

oh and welcome...

I imagine 12,000 rpms sounds silent right after my crankshaft rips out the side of the bike... then the screaming from me flying out of control, and then crying

I imagine 12,000 rpms sounds silent right after my crankshaft rips out the side of the bike... then the screaming from me flying out of control, and then crying

Actually one of the pistons would probably fly through your nutsack before the crank ever left the block. :D

chain and exhaust leak are good guesses.

When was the last oil change? It might only be engine noise from moving parts.

I had a bike modified to do up around 14,000 rpm. It ate one crankshaft, one camshaft, threw off all the piston pin retainers, needed special valve spring set, a racing clutch set, and ruined points sets in about two weeks. Oh, and destroyed the oil quickly, real quickly. And broke a lot of chains. It wasn't worth it.

edit: the bike would do 10,500 rpm stock, modified it did 14,500 rpm with fresh points, then dropped...

Edited by ReconRat

chain and exhaust leak are good guesses.

When was the last oil change? It might only be engine noise from moving parts.

I had a bike modified to do up around 14,000 rpm. It ate one crankshaft, one camshaft, threw off all the piston pin retainers, needed special valve spring set, a racing clutch set, and ruined points sets in about two weeks. Oh, and destroyed the oil quickly, real quickly. And broke a lot of chains. It wasn't worth it.

edit: the bike would do 10,500 rpm stock, modified it did 14,500 rpm with fresh points, then dropped...

The R6 does 17,500 rpm without apocalyptic self-detonation. Get with the times. :p

Wear ear plugs and forget about it... When i go out on the track or ride street w/o them, I think the thing is going to explode into pieces...

Truth. I rode the Ape around the block once without a helmet and the damn thing sounds like the apocalypse. So many noises, lol. I just keep the earplugs in and ignore it and she keeps delivering the miles. :)

The sound doesnt bother me, altough it gets louder the higher the rpms. i just dont know if It something serious that i should get fixed to avoid engine damage, i had my last oil change probably 300 miles ago, i take great care of it, but i do ride it hard. It only makes the sound past 12000. 12000 doesnt seem too high considering this thing redlines at 16500 and its designed for these speeds. definalty not the chain, it sounds more like its coming from the engine/exhaust. Any ideas of who can I have check this out in the columbus area that wont charge me a wack-ass price?

Thanks for the replies

Truth. I rode the Ape around the block once without a helmet and the damn thing sounds like the apocalypse. So many noises, lol. I just keep the earplugs in and ignore it and she keeps delivering the miles. :)

Squid. Let me guess you were in cargo shorts and DC shoes? ;)

ditto that, kind of cool hearing it now and then.... but yah, earplugs ftmfw