Military pay increase of 1.4% for 2011

robhawk

I love the hypocrisy so many armchair quarterbacks have.

Lots of americans will get a 0% raise from private companies, but if the gubnant ever tried to give 0% everyone gets in a huff, then screams to cut spending from SOMETHING

Lots of americans will get a 0% raise from private companies, but if the gubnant ever tried to give 0% everyone gets in a huff, then screams to cut spending from SOMETHING

Military pay raises never reach the heights seen in private industry...outside of a promotion in rank. I dont think its too much to ask for our military to get the measly 2-3% we get every year.

Military pay raises never reach the heights seen in private industry...outside of a promotion in rank. I dont think its too much to ask for our military to get the measly 2-3% we get every year.

That's my point bud, private industry isn't any better right now... unless you're a CITI executive

That's my point bud, private industry isn't any better right now... unless you're a CITI executive

I understood your point.

Military pay raises never follow the the economy. If your company's doing amazing its not out of the question for you to expect a fat raise. We dont get that in the military. So I dont think its much to ask for our consistent 2% every year. Call it selfish, but we're in different type of "business."

Personally I could give two shits whether its 1.4% or 3%. I just ask that it stays with inflation. Which its not.

I understood your point.

Military pay raises never follow the the economy. If your company's doing amazing its not out of the question for you to expect a fat raise. We dont get that in the military. So I dont think its much to ask for our consistent 2% every year. Call it selfish, but we're in different type of "business."

Personally I could give two shits whether its 1.4% or 3%. I just ask that it stays with inflation. Which its not.

Actually 1.4% is close to current inflation and the past 11 years they have been working to make up for the pay gap between the military and their civilian counterparts. They are not there yet but it's way better than 10-15-20 years ago. Besides that the proposed is almost always considerably lower than what actually goes through. Having said that the pay increase is sure to be higher than inflation this time around.

What % raise did most of you get this year?

I didn't read the links, but having several friends in the military with close to 20 years now, & both grandpas who served in WWII, along with an uncle in Vietnam..... I can tell you that if anyone deserves a raise.... It's our country's service people

The conditions some of them live in are deplorable while over in the sandbox & Afghanistan, not to mention many of them risk death &/or dismemberment by putting their lives on the line for the rest of us, so the rest of us don't have to, every time they step out of their compounds or go on a patrol

I am appreciative of the supreme sacrifice so many of them make, and hope this is all over before my boys are old enough to have to make that choice several years from now eusa_pray.gif

"All gave some.... Some gave all" -- Source Unknown

Speculating pay for 2011 at this point is pointless. Way too much time for things to change, and they will. I'm kinda new to the military, today being 18 years in for me. Our income Vs. cost of living can be tough. Here in Ohio, we do pretty good though. If you can't live comfortable here, you are doing something wrong. Any civil servant or people in health care should get annual raises for cost of living. Just my .02.

Speculating pay for 2011 at this point is pointless. Way too much time for things to change, and they will. I'm kinda new to the military, today being 18 years in for me. Our income Vs. cost of living can be tough. Here in Ohio, we do pretty good though. If you can't live comfortable here, you are doing something wrong. Any civil servant or people in health care should get annual raises for cost of living. Just my .02.

You new to the military = :lol:

that's all well and good man, but you're thinking emotionaly not from a fiscal perspective.

the military is a cost center, you don't put more money intl a cost center if your revenue centers are losing money.

I personally think that is a horrible management style... just my opinion from my studies. But I dont think you can regulate/manage the DoD with a strict cost or revenue center type of viewpoint.

Are you up at DSCC?

What % raise did most of you get this year?

ohhh I think somewhere around 18% :p

but seriously its mainly because our business has been solid, I started in pretty low and took on about 4x as many responsibilities than I had last year

I didn't read the links, but having several friends in the military with close to 20 years now, & both grandpas who served in WWII, along with an uncle in Vietnam..... I can tell you that if anyone deserves a raise.... It's our country's service people

The conditions some of them live in are deplorable while over in the sandbox & Afghanistan, not to mention many of them risk death &/or dismemberment by putting their lives on the line for the rest of us, so the rest of us don't have to, every time they step out of their compounds or go on a patrol

I am appreciative of the supreme sacrifice so many of them make, and hope this is all over before my boys are old enough to have to make that choice several years from now eusa_pray.gif

"All gave some.... Some gave all" -- Source Unknown

I personally think that is a horrible management style... just my opinion from my studies. But I dont think you can regulate/manage the DoD with a strict cost or revenue center type of viewpoint.

Completely agree with both of you on this. I am not a fan of the excess government spending as of late however, if it keeps my ass safe and my friends who put their life on the line fairly compensated I'm all about it. Take the funds away from the other worthless shit this government pisses away

that's all well and good man, but you're thinking emotionaly not from a fiscal perspective.

the military is a cost center, you don't put more money intl a cost center if your revenue centers are losing money.

Agreed.... Especially after the Clinton administration thinned the herd for 8 years, with base closures & overall streamlining

I don't consider our military a cost center, especially at current levels.... I look at it as our home defense system

"Freedom is NEVER free"

Completely agree with both of you on this. I am not a fan of the excess government spending as of late however, if it keeps my ass safe and my friends who put their life on the line fairly compensated I'm all about it. Take the funds away from the other worthless shit this government pisses away

Yahhhtzee!!