Any cage mechanics on here that can give me a job time quote?

Fonzie

What's the "official" Chilton's or whatever, job time rating for changing an ECM on a 2000 GMC Savana van 1500 with the 4.3 Vortec V6?

Also.... Is it necessary to remove the grill to get it out?

And yes.... I googled before posting this

Thanx in advance for any help

The labor guide says 1.1 hours.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the spring retainers off the edges of the VCM.
  3. Slide the VCM out of the bracket at an angle.
  4. Remove the connectors from the VCM

Is the new one already programmed for the vehicle it's going into?

There's also a procedure that you have to go through to get the PCM and the Body Comtrol Module (BCM) to learn the fuel "password" that is part of the anti-theft system. It takes about 1/2 hour, and lot's of waiting in that 1/2 hour!

There's also a procedure that you have to go through to get the PCM and the Body Comtrol Module (BCM) to learn the fuel "password" that is part of the anti-theft system. It takes about 1/2 hour, and lot's of waiting in that 1/2 hour!

The anti-theft learning may not be required, only if the vehicle doesn't start.

YAHTZEE.... You hit the nail on the head Jud!

I had the ECM programmed at the parts store where I bought it, but now that it's in & hooked up, it runs through all the codes OK 'til it gets to the "safety code?" IIRC. Keeps balking at that & shutting down the fuel injectors so it won't start, & saying it needs to be taken to the dealership :wtf:

Of course, since it won't start.... I can't exaccctly take it to the dealership without towing involved :confused:

Edited by Fonzie

YAHTZEE.... You hit the nail on the head Jud!

I had the ECM programmed at the parts store where I bought it, but now that it's in & hooked up, it runs through all the codes OK 'til it gets to the "safety code?" IIRC. Keeps balking at that & shutting down the fuel injectors so it won't start, & saying it needs to be taken to the dealership :wtf:

Of course, since it won't start.... I can't exaccctly take it to the dealership without towing involved :confused:

I'll PM you with what needs to be done later this afternoon, or evening. It's easy, and doesn't require going to the stealership. I have to get going now, I have kid screaming to get out of his crib!

I'll PM you with what needs to be done later this afternoon, or evening. It's easy, and doesn't require going to the stealership. I have to get going now, I have kid screaming to get out of his crib!

Ok, I had a minute, you've got PM Fonz.

:lol: Been there, done that

Thanx JP.... Replied back