Chain links?

RSVDon

Quick question, when I have a 120 link chain and the setup I have calls for 110 links, does that mean I cut the chain to 109 links and then add the master link to make a complete 110 links? Or is it 110 regular links with the addition of a master link making it really 111 links?

Kthnks

keep this in mind, you have to remove 2 links on a new chain in order for the master link to fit again.

it will come ready to accept a master link. (both ends of the chain will be inner links). since a master link attaches to a inner link you need to remove that one inner link and one outer so it will fit the next inner link.

you'll see what I'm talking about when you start messing with it.

Edited by serpentracer

keep this in mind, you have to remove 2 links on a new chain in order for the master link to fit again.

it will come ready to accept a master link. (both ends of the chain will be inner links). since a master link attaches to a inner link you need to remove that one inner link and one outer so it will fit the next inner link.

you'll see what I'm talking about when you start messing with it.

Exactly. What you are doing, Don is considering the whole link with plates and pins as one unit. The master link is two pins (or, two links).

So, you can only have even numbered links. Well, there's such a thing as a half link, but...

So, yes to your question. You need TOTAL of 110 links. My suggestion is always cut larger than you need and make sure. Sort of measuring twice and cutting once. But with $100 + chains, cutting too short is really a bummer...

Thanks guys. This actually was a serious question, I've never done this shit before, lol. I can't compare th length of the old chain because my new sprocket setup calls for a longer chain length.

Time to go get messy. :)

BTW, chain runs that go through a hoop in the swingarm FTL.

yeah it' a bummer. I've seen guys have to buy another master link and a few new links to make up the extra links they removed. DOHH!

I can't name names, but I MIGHT know someone who has done this...:D He rides a black and white bike with stripes...

Hint: hook the new chain to the old chain and pull it through to get it on the front sprocket.

Then eyeball the length of the new chain sitting on the back sprocket.

It should fit with only the need for the one master link.

Don't forget to run your adjuster forward for future adjustment.

And yes, it is two inside plate links that face one another, ready for one master link.