first impression

Hoblick

took the sv out today to play around a bit, first time riding a nekkid one, and first time riding this body style.

along with it having the straight bars (club racers) on it.

i must say this thing is too fun!

worlds apart from the VFR.

its the perfect hooligan bike. almost motard ish.

it could use some better brakes and suspension, but the little 650 vtwin has just enough power to be alot of fun, and not to much to really get you in trouble.

pulls wheelies quite nicely in 2nd might i add.

its so freaking light, i love it.

im already scouting for a gsxr front end lol :D

definately the perfect bike to add to the collection!

and i will be taking this thing to a track day this year lol

I definetly like the looks of the vfr the best(single sided swingarm sells it). like the power and comfort of the fz1. And the price of the sv.

On the vfr:

How much do you notice the extra power kick in at 6400 rpm?

Have you changed the seat or clip-ons?

I definetly like the looks of the vfr the best(single sided swingarm sells it). like the power and comfort of the fz1. And the price of the sv.

On the vfr:

How much do you notice the extra power kick in at 6400 rpm?

Have you changed the seat or clip-ons?

im biased, but the VFR is the way to go.

i think it has more than enough power, and even for 2 up riding with all the luggage and loaded down it doesnt lack in the power area.

even though it feels a little heavy when you first sit on it, the bike feels like a 600 sport bike while riding, very nimble, ad can hang with the best of them.

comfort wise its a great balance between sport and tour. but if you want more comfort a sargent seat and a set of heli bars could be on your want list.

the things that sell the bike for me are, the engine.. the v4 juts out a great note, and not many bikes around sound like this.

the balance... i wanted something i could still tear the twisties up with, but also load the luggage up and me and the wife are off for a 4000 mile week trip and still be comfortable. styling, out of all the bike you mention, the VFR to me has the best styling, the others just arent in the same category at all.

mileage and power.. with a 5 gal. tank and 200+ miles per tank, it gets pretty good MPG, maybe more than that if you can stay off the throttle. but when you want to haul ass the vtec is nice, really opens it up, and you can tell the difference once it hits.. it pulls like a super sport on the top end, and has alot of grunt down low.

brakes.. if you get one, get one with abs.. its freaking awesome! and if not the linked braking system on the non abs models is really good too

single sided swing arm is just sexy!

i do have the sargent seat on mine and i love it. way better than stock, though a little to stiff for my liking. but the cut of it is great, and the passenger area is widened with the sargent seat as well.

heli bars, i didnt want them before, but now that i have a sv650 and the VFR will probably get dedicated to touring now, ill probably shell out the $280 and get them.

the fz1 probably makes more power, but how much do you really need? and comfort wise i think the VFR is more comfortable in my opinion. as for price... i dont know what your price range is, but you can buy a brand new left over VFR with abs for $7999 right now, and you can get a low milage used one with some of the stuff you may want on it already installed for around $5k

the only pitfall of the VFR i can see is the valve clearance check maintenance... if you get it done at a dealer your gonna spend some money.

its supposed to be every 16k miles. per the VFR forums, i dont know anyone who has checked them at 16k.. most wait until 24k to get them checked, and literally 99% of them werent anywhere near being out of spec. i just did mine this winter at 37k, and i had 2 out. i didnt get it done at a dealer... if you have mechanical ability and patience then you should be able to do the clearances yourself as well, if not id be willing to help or do for a minimal fee.

outside of that, youll love the VFR. id go check one out, or atleast read up some more on them.

they are the best do it all bike you can find.

as most people say, and most mags say... the VFR doesnt do one thing great, it doesnt everything exceptionally well.

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask and id be glad to help

its so freaking light, i love it.

im already scouting for a gsxr front end lol :D

definately the perfect bike to add to the collection!

and i will be taking this thing to a track day this year lol

FWIW, adding 'good' suspension takes a lot of that motard feeling away. It will make it a much better track performer, but it won't be as much fun on the street.

i dont like the v twins. cant really do weelies on them, and the other bullshit for drilling the heads is lame. rather just buy an inline 4

WTF are you smoking?

Hell, you can even wheelie with a 250 ninja.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpGbju7iIjk

Anyway, a SV will stunt just fine. Maybe even a bit easier than a lot of inline 4's of the similar size with their wider, flatter and more predictable torque curve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtE479LtSQ8