Calling all speeding ticket experts!

Dubguy85

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granville? One thing about Mayor's court though, where do their records show up, other than BMV driving file? Nothing shows up in the the muni court file, not sure how far someone would have to go to dig up these records, or if they're filed somewhere that's easily accessible.

The reason why they don't show up in muni court is because you never went there. Mayor's Court is it's own separate entity consisting of a "judge" that probably doesn't have a shred of legal experience, 99/100 is not a member of the Bar, and since he/she is in charge of the town and its budget has a inherent conflict of interest to find you guilty so they can collect on you. Every mayor's court I've been to (2) gives you the ability to remand your own case to the municipal court where you will get a MUCH fairer trial than in mayors court.

The reason why they don't show up in muni court is because you never went there. Mayor's Court is it's own separate entity consisting of a "judge" that probably doesn't have a shred of legal experience, 99/100 is not a member of the Bar, and since he/she is in charge of the town and its budget has a inherent conflict of interest to find you guilty so they can collect on you. Every mayor's court I've been to (2) gives you the ability to remand your own case to the municipal court where you will get a MUCH fairer trial than in mayors court.

I'm still wondering about where the files might show up then. Are they stuck in the Mayr's Court's records, or are they filed somewhere else, where they can be had by others seeking info about a person? I'm not worried about anything turning up on me, I've already told the info that will come up in my experience with mayor's court's, I'm just curious.

Sorry, got to this late.

I go to court on every ticket I get. This is almost always what happens.

1. go in for arraignment and be prepared to plead "not guilty" If the prosecutor doesn't make you a deal right on the spot they are very likely to do so on your actual trial date. Your court case is not very important compared to everyone else's.

2. Wear a button down shirt and look like a rock star next to all of the trashy people in there with suspended licences. When you are at court for a violation you could otherwise mail in you are very low priority to the judge and prosecutor. At least that is the feeling I have gotten and why I think they are pretty quick to just make you a deal and be done.

3. Talk to prosecutor, explain you have a relatively clean driving record and you'd like to reduce your ticket to a "no points" violation.

4. Prosecutor will make a deal with you, usually resulting in a slightly higher fine than if you had just mailed in payment. If they are not willing to make any deal, plead "not guilty" and try again at trial. I've never made it past this point with out making a deal, except when I actually contested at trial and even in that case I was offered a deal. (that's another story but I'm 1 for 2 in actual trials, you are better off taking the deal IMO but keep in mind, having your case tried will not result in bigger fines or court cost. You are entitled to it. If you are an @$$hole you might get stomped by the judge though so don't do that.)

5. You walk out having spent $200-$250ish after fine and court cost with no additional points on your licence.

6. you get to hear a lot of different people make excuses about suspended licences and DUIs while you sit and wait.

The end.

Edited by vw151

Just one thing to keep in mind, even if the judge makes it no points your insurance can still see it...

Points for violations refer to points on your driving license only.

Personal opinion yada yada yada

Thats ok.. Its company insurance, not mine, so it wont go up.. I just don't want points!

Just one thing to keep in mind, even if the judge makes it no points your insurance can still see it...

Points for violations refer to points on your driving license only.

Personal opinion yada yada yada

That depends on the insurance company. Some of them go on points, some go on events.

Further, nothing goes up if they don't pull up your MVR which they don't always do.

It's worth an extra $50 to me to not have points.

That depends on the insurance company. Some of them go on points, some go on events.

Further, nothing goes up if they don't pull up your MVR which they don't always do.

It's worth an extra $50 to me to not have points.

Your information is inaccurate, and I'll leave it at that.

Your information is inaccurate, and I'll leave it at that.

Last time I shopped around and discussed why my rate was what it was at each company this is what I ended up with.

1 company only looked at points but had higher general rates

1 company looked at every event equally but had lower rates if you had no events

1 company looked at events but waived the first one

And further of course accidents were weighted differently than tickets or regular violations.

beyond all that, some companies cover your motorcycle on a race track as long as it's not a race IE track days

others stop coverage the minute you roll onto a closed course.

This was shopping for motorcycle insurance. I've had my car insurance with USAA since I was 16 and I have found that shopping around against USAA is futile.

when I say event I mean the companies saw a seat belt violation (no points) the same as a 2 point speeding ticket.

Where as a points insurance company did not raise your rates for the seat belt violation but did for the 2 point speeding ticket.

I'm just passing on what I was told by various agents when I was calling around.

Edited by vw151

... I'm just passing on what I was told by various agents when I was calling around.

I lied about leaving it at that.

You are correct, special lines is different than auto is different than life and health.

To address the basis for your information, I will tell you in my personal experience agents know very little (if anything) about the underwriting of the product they are selling. And to that extent, MOST people at an insurance company won't know what goes into the underwriting.

And to make everyone more paranoid, just because your agent tells you "Oh no, you're covered on the track" REALLY don't take their word for it, read your policy contract.

You are correct, special lines is different than auto is different than life and health.

To address the basis for your information, I will tell you in my personal experience agents know very little (if anything) about the underwriting of the product they are selling. And to that extent, MOST people at an insurance company won't know what goes into the underwriting.

And to make everyone more paranoid, just because your agent tells you "Oh no, you're covered on the track" REALLY don't take their word for it, read your policy contract.

obviously I can only go on what I was told, but the track thing I ran up the management chain. It seemed the agents really had no idea but while looking into it further it seemed they were split. State farm and progressive say they do cover you, geico however does not.

not that it matters to me, my track bike is not insured at all as it's not street legal at all.

obviously I can only go on what I was told, but the track thing I ran up the management chain. It seemed the agents really had no idea but while looking into it further it seemed they were split. State farm and progressive say they do cover you, geico however does not.

lol, again inaccurate information bud :-\

Not trying to be a dick, but you're giving some really bad advice and misinformation that could cost people in the long run.

Edited by Likwid

lol, again inaccurate information bud :-\

Not trying to be a dick, but you're giving some really bad advice and misinformation that could cost people in the long run.

well, prove it then. I have progressive. Is my Ducati (street bike) covered at a mid-OH track day or not, I was told by progressive that it was, I was told by State farm that it would be and I was told by Geico that it was definitely not covered.

I'm not telling people to go on my word. Just saying this is what I was told by the agents. If I can't believe them who can I believe or who can I call to find out what is accurately covered? If what I am saying is not true then I'd love to know as well as it could cost me in the long run as well. I originally started looking into this in regards to the KTM sponsored Mid-OH days as I did not want to go riding around on KTM's $15k motorcycles being liable out of pocket. When I honestly explained the scenario to these companies those were the answers I got after quite a bit of waiting and talking to people's bosses and what not.

Beyond that, my original point was about going to court and what generally happens if you want to contest it. What your relationship with your insurance company is in relation to that is something you'd have to personally investigate. But again I'd ask, where should we (the non insurance industry people) go to find accurate information regarding this. I'd hope the way my rates are determined is a little more concrete than voodoo magic.

Edited by vw151

well, prove it then. I have progressive. Is my Ducati (street bike) covered at a mid-OH track day or not, I was told by progressive that it was, I was told by State farm that it would be and I was told by Geico that it was definitely not covered.

I hope you record those conversations... because that person telling you you're covered ISN'T the same person that signs the check when you make a claim...

I bet they don't even go to lunch together. :)

I offer no legal or insurance advice as I am not a licensed agent or a lawyer...

but since you have Progressive I'd encourage you to log into your policy, click on Documents, then Policy Contract.

You may want to read Page 4, Item 5 subsection (a) and (b). I obtained this information by reviewing my personal policy contract, in case anyone gets all mad :)

Edited by Likwid

I hope you record those conversations... because that person telling you you're covered ISN'T the same person that signs the check when you make a claim...

I bet they don't even go to lunch together. :)

I don't disagree with you, however, if the insurance company really operates like this then I would think they'd have some fairly angry customers.

The message I'm getting from you guys is, they are going to tell me one thing and then screw me when it comes time to pay me. I don't believe this is the case and I certainly don't believe I need to go through a claim in order to figure out what they "really" cover.

but I still want to know, If I can't trust my agent to answer these questions where should I go as a customer. After all, all I want to know is what is covered and what is not in order to determine my risk and actions as such.

Geico covered my track day wreck.

Insurance companies are legally obligated to cover what is covered in their policy contract and insurance application. (Those are filed with the state of Ohio).

You have a right to read the documents before you begin your insurance.... not that it helps everyone, but you need to read it.... THAT'S what will tell you what is covered.

You may want to read Page 4, Item 5 subsection (a) and (b). I obtained this information by reviewing my personal policy contract, in case anyone gets all mad :)

noted. I swear we found a part in the policy together that allowed the closed course unless it was a timed event.

Honestly, I would expect the agents and their support team to be able to properly sell me insurance. Maybe I'm asking too much.

Interesting that geico covered someone even though they explicitly told me the opposite.

Asking people to do anything right is asking too much. Sad, but that's what the world is coming to.

Once you find someone you can do business with that isn't a 'f*(k up'... hold onto that business relationship with your life (assuming it's not a commodity business)

I may have to put a call in later today to see if I can figure out where in the policy they interpreted that it is covered. Maybe if I can see what they were looking at it will make sense. I find it hard to believe I was blatantly lied to.

Can anyone with another major insurance company review their policy and see what they find? Now I'm just curious.

Info is correct... Sad but true. I know because I deal with agents all day... :)