Fasttrax/MotoSeries and Nelson Ledges

redkow97

I've ridden with Fasttrax (apparently changing their name to "motoSeries") a handful of times over the past 3 years, and I was curious if anyone else will be riding with them this summer.

As trackdays go, Fasttrax is stupid cheap, so that makes it more accessible than a lot of other orgs.

www.ridefasttrax.com if you want to see their schedule.

but the basics are as follows:

- they pretty much operate exclusively at Nelson Ledges (2 dates at BeaveRun)

- no membership required (i.e. no fee)

- they do have limited leather rentals available for those who don't own a suit.

- Cost is $120 for the 7, 20-minute sessions on a Saturday, OR $60 for open practice for experienced riders on Friday from 6:00 until it's too dark. (they run their race series on Sunday, so unless you have a race license, the only reason to stick around would be to spectate)

I firmly believe that STT has the best beginner program I've ever attended, but when I did the fasttrax 'track rider' school in 2008, it certainly wasn't bad. Fasttrax's instructors weren't as good, but they keep a beginner safe and out of trouble. The instructors are definitely fast, I just don't think they get as much practice at actually instructing as the STT staff. (there's a difference between being able to DO and being able to TEACH)

They HAVE changed their format since I took their school, but the 'instructional' group is still a good way to get into track riding. I don't know if they still have formal 'classroom' time, but I think so.

their "open" group is a lot like STT's "I" group. If you've done trackdays before, you'll probably fit in fine.

As many have probably heard, the track conditions at Nelson Ledges leave a lot to be desired, but for me, it's simply too cheap to pass up. You can absolutely get yourself into trouble and crash at a trackday, but I honestly feel that a little common sense and self-restraint make Nelson safe to ride.

I have a motion for summary judgment due on 4/18 at midnight, but I'm still thinking I'll ride on 4/17...

any takers?

cool - i already registered for the 2nd BeaveRun day (8/28?)

the EX500 board I'm on is using that event as meet/drink/camp event. We'll likely have a keg on Saturday night, so plan on sticking around :)

(I assume you'll register in the "open" group with me, but as fair warning, there may be 7-10 EX500's to pass in the 'instructional' group that day. The EX500 board should have more than 7-10 riders at the event, but not all of them are bringing EX500's)

Edited by redkow97

I'll definitely run the Beaver days, not sure about the rest. I have half a mind to take their race school in April or May and do a few sprints.

The beginner classroom instruction is good, but I'm not sure how I feel about their on track format. Their head novice instructor is about to retire from it and it was a CLUSTERFUCK last year when he skipped a track day.

Jbot and I did their "intermediate school" last year, and I was less than impressed.

My neighbor and his wife do the fasttrax at NL... they're in the Race group ... not sure how that matches up

some of the guys in their race group are pretty damn fast. I may consider registering in the race group later in the season, depending on how many people I feel are unsafe in the "open" group, and how much my pace improves.

I agree that their instruction and policing leaves a bit to be desired at times. I've witnessed some of their 'regulars' rip a wheelie down the front straight. I'm not going to be shy about telling them I find that sort of thing to be unsafe, and that they won't get my $$ in the future if it doesn't stop.

I think that some of their riders take the attitude that "fasttrax is a race group - the trackdays are just for goofing off."

That's the minority of the riders, and I think management (Todd) is going to do his best to change that perception this year.

I think it's ridiculous when people claim other riders are "holding them up."

if you're faster, prove it. pass them.

I admit this can be difficult when trackday rules limit the ways in which you're allowed to pass another rider, but the fact is if you're capable of turning faster lap times, there should be SOME place you're able to get around whoever is "holding you up" and then stay in front of them.