Good CCW Pistol

KL9 F4i

Gettin my CCW here soon and wanted some opinions on some pistols that people have had good or bad luck with... I want something sort of small and not a total pain to carry around I held a Kahr Guardian .380 the other day that I really liked, but idk if I want a caliber as small as a .380...I like the idea of the Kahr MK9 which is pretty similar to the .380 i think I have a 9mm Carbine at home so i kind of wanted to only buy one size of ammo...I have heard good things about glocks but i hate the boxy look of them. I know its important to get a pistol that feels right to you and all that stuff but was hoping those of you who carry or own pistols could shoot some ideas my why of some things i should/could look at ....all the pistols out there are overwhelming and I have heard not all gun dealers know their stuff all that well. I do not have really large hands nor do I have small hands...somewhat average size i guess...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if im going to carry for ccw its going to be a smith revolver .357 they go bag in any condition and I like how small and light they are now. they also have the sights milled into the frame so you cant snag anything when pulling out the gun. hell you can even shoot all shoots out of your pocket of your coat if need be you cant do that with an auto.

Gettin my CCW here soon and wanted some opinions on some pistols that people have had good or bad luck with... I want something sort of small and not a total pain to carry around I held a Kahr Guardian .380 the other day that I really liked, but idk if I want a caliber as small as a .380...I like the idea of the Kahr MK9 which is pretty similar to the .380 i think I have a 9mm Carbine at home so i kind of wanted to only buy one size of ammo...I have heard good things about glocks but i hate the boxy look of them. I know its important to get a pistol that feels right to you and all that stuff but was hoping those of you who carry or own pistols could shoot some ideas my why of some things i should/could look at ....all the pistols out there are overwhelming and I have heard not all gun dealers know their stuff all that well. I do not have really large hands nor do I have small hands...somewhat average size i guess...

stay away from a .380 they have a really low kill rate all they do is piss the other person off. They will beat you with your own gun then die later from blood loss but kill you to. when going with a ccw your looking for a one shoot one kill caliber. I know that sounds wrong to say but thats what its for its for life or death situations. I really recommend the .357, .40, or .357 sig.

i think 380 hollow points or hydra shocks are just fine for ccw:D

your very wrong lol. just do some reading on the one shoot one kill rates. they are like just over 50 percent. when your looking at the three calibers i just listed they are over 80 percent you cant have any real room for margins in this remember if they live after the first shoot they can shoot back. its your life.

there is a very good formula to look at when trying to figure this out. (speed times mass=hit factor. for a good example I have some corbon .40 for my home defiance ammo. they are going 1350 ft per second with a 135gr head so they are hitting with 182.250 hit factor.

if im going to carry for ccw its going to be a smith revolver .357 they go bag in any condition and I like how small and light they are now. they also have the sights milled into the frame so you cant snag anything when pulling out the gun. hell you can even shoot all shoots out of your pocket of your coat if need be you cant do that with an auto.

You need one of these. S&W 638 .38Special +P

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

your very wrong lol. just do some reading on the one shoot one kill rates. they are like just over 50 percent. when your looking at the three calibers i just listed they are over 80 percent you cant have any real room for margins in this remember if they live after the first shoot they can shoot back. its your life.

Do these one-shoot one kill rates factor shot placement? Load variety? Physiology of the wound victim? Shot distance?

Where would these empirical statistical studies be?

Do these one-shoot one kill rates factor shot placement? Load variety? Physiology of the wound victim? Shot distance?

Where would these empirical statistical studies be?

I would have to go back and read but i think all shoots were from 10 ft to 15 yards and all chest shoots. thats were most people shoot for and at. they dont count in limb shoots at all. almost all head shoots are game over fast. what most of the studies are done by is by loads by manufactures like corbon or who ever.

You need one of these. S&W 638 .38Special +P

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

the .38 special is a very fine round and thats the type of gun i was talking about right there. you can put it any were on you and being able to shoot from a coat pocket and shoot all 5 rounds if need be with out ever pulling out the gun is a big advantage. hell you can fire all five under water lol.

the .38 special is a very fine round and thats the type of gun i was talking about right there. you can put it any were on you and being able to shoot from a coat pocket and shoot all 5 rounds if need be with out ever pulling out the gun is a big advantage. hell you can fire all five under water lol.

Weighs 12 oz. and rides in my front pants pocket everywhere everyday.

I would have to go back and read but i think all shoots were from 10 ft to 15 yards and all chest shoots. thats were most people shoot for and at. they dont count in limb shoots at all. almost all head shoots are game over fast. what most of the studies are done by is by loads by manufactures like corbon or who ever.

There are no "one shot one kill" studies. Too much variable in real-world gun fights, for all the reasons I mentioned. There are some very good studies on terminal ballistics, the FBI's being the baseline, but you can't quantify the effects of one bullet over another merely by caliber when there are so many different loadings, weapons, victims, and physical differences at play.

Most any .380 to the heart at close range will kill you, right now.

So will a .45, so will a .22lr, so will a .338 Lapua.

The differences between LOADINGS, in controlled ballistic testings can be studied and the statistical data on deaths compared, but correlation does not equal causation, but there's no hard data to show that .380 bullets are less lethal than 9mm in real world cases. A shitty 9mm loading is inferior to a good .380, and vice versa.

If you want to recommend a larger, better expanding bullet I'll agree with you every time, but you can't paint with a broad brush where calibers are concerned. There are some very good .380 loadings, and they will kill you with one shot, every time if that shot is in the right place. Likewise, there are other shots that aren't perfect that may kill you, may not, and a better loading in another caliber may make the difference. Hydraulic shock, tumbling, fragmentation, and a whole slew of other variables come into play.

There are no "one shot one kill" studies. Too much variable in real-world gun fights, for all the reasons I mentioned. There are some very good studies on terminal ballistics, the FBI's being the baseline, but you can't quantify the effects of one bullet over another merely by caliber when there are so many different loadings, weapons, victims, and physical differences at play.

Most any .380 to the heart at close range will kill you, right now.

So will a .45, so will a .22lr, so will a .338 Lapua.

The differences between LOADINGS, in controlled ballistic testings can be studied and the statistical data on deaths compared, but correlation does not equal causation, but there's no hard data to show that .380 bullets are less lethal than 9mm in real world cases. A shitty 9mm loading is inferior to a good .380, and vice versa.

If you want to recommend a larger, better expanding bullet I'll agree with you every time, but you can't paint with a broad brush where calibers are concerned. There are some very good .380 loadings, and they will kill you with one shot, every time if that shot is in the right place. Likewise, there are other shots that aren't perfect that may kill you, may not, and a better loading in another caliber may make the difference. Hydraulic shock, tumbling, fragmentation, and a whole slew of other variables come into play.

your wrong there are lots of one shoot kill studies and the 380 is a very very week round. it dosnt have enough speed and mass to do true damage to the human body. any thing to the heart will kill you. almost all shoots to the chest will kill you in time. what im talking about is the calibers ability to drop you now with out being able to shoot back or do anything. drop you now type of power. it take system shock power. speed and mass. its the same reason a .40 s&w will out do a .45 acp. the .45 has more mass but cant put up the speed that the .40 dose. I already put up the formula that you use. take your little .380 and look at what the box says its doing in feet per second and times it by the weight of the bullet.