Dump Truck Driver Mows Down Nine Bikes In Massive Motorcycle Crash

Disclaimer

Holy. Shit. Forwarded from Jalopnik.

http://jalopnik.com/5502266/dump-truck-driver-in-massive-motorcycle-crash-fishing-for-papers-before-accident

Dump Truck Driver In Massive Motorcycle Crash "Fishing For Papers" Before Accident

500x_phoenix_motorcycle_crash.jpgA dump truck driver admitted he was "fishing for papers" when his rig crashed through nine motorcycles this afternoon in Phoenix, killing several riders.

The accident took place near 27th and Carefree Highway in Phoenix. Multiple sources have confirmed earlier reports of a major accident involving multiple bikes in the area. According to the employees of a Walgreens located near the site of the accident, the truck driver plowed through at least nine motorcycle riders who were parked at the intersection waiting for the light. The truck then caught on fire with motorcycles trapped underneath it.

According to one Walgreens employee, the truck driver admitted to bystanders that he was "fishing for papers" when the accident occured. Lifeflight was sent to the scene and the casualty count is unclear, but at least three people and possibly five are dead with many others injured. Another car was said to be involved. [ABC 15]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch your mirrors and stay in gear not neutral at lights and intersections....... been said before needs said again.

Yup, in the city, watch behind all the time.

I've been hit twice from behind on a bike by cars, and once by a bike.

Mine weren't too serious, but it's best to watch out for the unthinkable.

Huge shame. The shit that sucks now is that truckers are able to go the same speed as cars on the highway. way too fast for vehicles that heavy. Dump truckers get paid by the load so they'll always speed where ever they go. RIP.

So, if you want to commit murder and get away with it, just run someone over and say you were distracted digging for papers in your vehicle.

I say that because if history has taught us anything, the driver will hardly get a punishment, if any at all. :mad:

RIP to the riders. Such irresponsibility. :(

There's a motorcyclist movement to end distracted (and just plain stupid) driving, from a case of a motorcyclist who was killed on her bike by a driver who was, of all things, painting her nails and rear ended right into her.

http://www.blacknailbrigade.org/

Watch your mirrors and stay in gear not neutral at lights and intersections....... been said before needs said again.

I don't know how many times I've said this to my kid and then catch myself doing just the opposite, a lot of time I give myself a false safety when a car stops behind me. Then you feel a safety barrier and wrongly so because one time I was at a traffic light and a guy plowed me and shoved four cars together before he stopped and he was in a car, I couldn't imagine a dump truck plowing into me.

God be with those involved and their families.

I just heard of a new thing that might help with the texting while driving problem. The new phones have GPS and if the phone's traveling at more than 10mph you can't use it. It sends all your calls and texts to your mailbox.

Till you're a passenger trying to make a call on the highway and you can't do it. Too nanny-stateish, won't happen.