leaking drain plug, anyone used the LP magnetic drain plugs?

smashweights

has anyone used the magnetic lockhart-philips drain plugs? i picked up one from IP for my spring oil change, put a new crush washer on it (i ordered 6 last time i had to buy stock parts for the bike) and cranked it down til i was afraid i was gonna strip the bolt. i hadnt ridden it in like 2 weeks since the last warmup and there was an oil spot about 4 inches in diameter on the cardboard under the bike and a small bit of oil i could wipe off the drain plug. i couldnt tighten it down anymore as the socket slipped a bit and started to strip the plug. did i mess something up? any idea why this is leaking? it's not much oil, the level is still well near the top limit. it's supposed to be a universal yamaha drain plug, but it was about 1/4" shorter than the "stock" plug that was in there.

Edited by smashweights

has anyone used the magnetic lockhart-philips drain plugs? i picked up one from IP for my spring oil change, put a new crush washer on it (i ordered 6 last time i had to buy stock parts for the bike) and cranked it down til i was afraid i was gonna strip the bolt. i hadnt ridden it in like 2 weeks since the last warmup and there was an oil spot about 4 inches in diameter on the cardboard under the bike and a small bit of oil i could wipe off the drain plug. i couldnt tighten it down anymore as the socket slipped a bit and started to strip the plug. did i mess something up? any idea why this is leaking? it's not much oil, the level is still well near the top limit. it's supposed to be a universal yamaha drain plug, but it was about 1/4" shorter than the "stock" plug that was in there.

Are there any metal shavings anywhere? Not sure how big of a ratchet you used when you were torquing it down, but it's possible you overtorqued it. Invest in a proper torque wrench next time.

Are there any metal shavings anywhere? Not sure how big of a ratchet you used when you were torquing it down, but it's possible you overtorqued it. Invest in a proper torque wrench next time.

that may be the case, i dont see any metal shavings, are you talking like in the oil or leaking out? it's only like a droplet that sits on the plug.

cranked it down til i was afraid i was gonna strip the bolt

huge no no....oil drain bolts never need cranked on that hard..it sounds like you over tightened it and messed up the pan...you might end up having to replace the pan, or having it tapped to accept a larger drain plug and putting a new plug in it...

you can use a torque wrench to be precise, but really just crank it down with a ratchet till its tight without using too much pressure...doesnt take much ...just some food for thought for next time

thanks guys and you were right on the money about the over tightening. thankfully the new plug was a softer metal so i dont think the threads on the pan were damaged (no metal shavings on the drain plug). it looks like it actually ended up bending the rim on the bolt back some and the leak might have come from there. anyway, drained the oil to a clean pan and put the old plug back in (and used my torque wrench, which i had, but always forget to use). we'll see if there's any drip tomorrow then maybe swing by pony and grab a new magna plug. learning the hard way is getting old...

Edited by smashweights

oh please do check. at this point i'm getting surprised by the stupid things i forget, which is making me second guess myself too much.

You ain't the only one to replace a oil pan because he was an idiot. There's a 02 Katana oil pan hanging on the wall of shame in my buddy's shop downtown after I stripped the threads bare.

You ain't the only one to replace a oil pan because he was an idiot. There's a 02 Katana oil pan hanging on the wall of shame in my buddy's shop downtown after I stripped the threads bare.

lol, it does feel good to know i'm not the only one. THANKFULLY i dont think the pan is damaged as the old drain plug/new washer is holding the oil in just fine.