First 75 degree day, ohhhh yeah, the squids are definitely out...

RSVDon

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. My ugly ass has something to say.

if you were on a reality game show and one of your tasks was to get pushed out of a moving vehicle on to any given asphalt road in your neihborhood at 30mph how would you prepair for that? would you do it in shorts" tee shirt? NAHHHH....

you would gear up wouldn't you? Hell you would go over board. Stuff an over sized leather jacket with foam, elbow pads. hockey gear, and make sure not a single part of you is oncovered RIGHT?

Put that in your pipe and smoke it :)

well all im going to say on that is that we do still live in a free country to do what we want even if it means making the wrong decision in others minds as long as it dosnt harm someone else. So that said Im not one of the homers to make fun of someone else for riding with out gear its on them it dosnt harm me in any way. now some day this could end up a dictatorship and you can be first in line for that. :D

Yeah you can ride with just a thong and eye protection if it pleases you. But everyone always thinks, "It won't happen to me. It can't. I gots the mad skillz." Everyone on the board knows the benefits to gear. Some are just more willing to accept a greater risk than others. If you want to ride it flip flops and a tank top down the freeway, that's your choice but I'm still gonna call you an idiot.

Like I said I have ridden without my jacket on very short trips. I have ridden without a helmet while testing and tuning my bike. I know I can still go down on very short rides but it is a risk I accepted. I still know that it would be in my best interest to wear all my gear, all the time.

I guess basically for me it just boils down to- I just would prefer to live for a while yet, so I can do more motorcycle riding.... and so I wear gear. :D

and thats your right to do what you want to do. but you still are not safe even with gear. it can end at any time with just the right old woman pulling out not seeing you. or how often do you speed going from place to place dont anyone say they dont speed. going 70 on a bike is like running it in 2nd gear on alot of them. Im just say to me this thread is more about imposing your ideas on other people and I just feel its not the right way to think. its just not for anyone to pass judgement on another man. Im sure all of us do things that we shouldnt in life :rolleyes:

Yeah you can ride with just a thong and eye protection if it pleases you. But everyone always thinks, "It won't happen to me. It can't. I gots the mad skillz." Everyone on the board knows the benefits to gear. Some are just more willing to accept a greater risk than others. If you want to ride it flip flops and a tank top down the freeway, that's your choice but I'm still gonna call you an idiot.

Like I said I have ridden without my jacket on very short trips. I have ridden without a helmet while testing and tuning my bike. I know I can still go down on very short rides but it is a risk I accepted. I still know that it would be in my best interest to wear all my gear, all the time.

everyone goes down. just dont agree with the idea of acting like we are safe just because we have gear on. its all a game of chance. But thats part of why we all ride is we enjoy the risk the chance of life the idea of living it to the fullest and not just hiding for risks.

everyone goes down. just dont agree with the idea of acting like we are safe just because we have gear on. its all a game of chance. But thats part of why we all ride is we enjoy the risk the chance of life the idea of living it to the fullest and not just hiding for risks.

Oh no, I'm not saying wearing the magical helmet will keep me from breaking my neck. But I know with gear I have a better chance reducing injury if/when I go down. <knock on wood>

I love riding, part of it being the adrenaline and risk of it. If I wasn't okay with the price, I wouldn't play the game.

Oh no, I'm not saying wearing the magical helmet will keep me from breaking my neck. But I know with gear I have a better chance reducing injury if/when I go down. <knock on wood>

I love riding, part of it being the adrenaline and risk of it. If I wasn't okay with the price, I wouldn't play the game.

Now thats what im saying is we all know the game and we are playing on the wrong side of the odds. dont get all wrapped up in the idea that the leather and the helmet will keep you alive. It just makes people think they are invincible and then they push it harder.

and thats your right to do what you want to do. but you still are not safe even with gear.- agreed, but preventative action is all I'm doing. I doubt a doctor has ever said "oh if only you hadn't been wearing your leathers, you would have had less road rash. Just trying to be as safe as possible while pushing the limits of physics is all. Kinda like how I love to lay out in the sun, but I put sunscreen on, LMAO!!! it can end at any time with just the right old woman pulling out not seeing you. or how often do you speed going from place to place dont anyone say they dont speed. going 70 on a bike is like running it in 2nd gear on alot of them. Im just say to me this thread is more about imposing your ideas on other people- naw man, I'm all about everyone doing their own thing, hell that is why I ride a motorcycle... I'm gonna live my life how I want to... I totally agree with ya. and I just feel its not the right way to think. its just not for anyone to pass judgement on another man. Im sure all of us do things that we shouldnt in life :rolleyes:

Now thats what im saying is we all know the game and we are playing on the wrong side of the odds. dont get all wrapped up in the idea that the leather and the helmet will keep you alive. It just makes people think they are invincible and then they push it harder.

I don't at all think I am invincible... I wear my helmet and leathers because I know I'm not.

most doctors will just tell you not to ride at all. all they see is whats left of us after something goes very wrong. its just like police or medics.

Now if you all want to get something band or make rules lets make an age limit for driving on the top end of age just like we have one on the bottom. 90% of the cars that pull out in front of me are an old man or woman that can hardly see anymore awww.

most doctors will just tell you not to ride at all.

bwahaha true... and tonight on the channel 19 news they had special little thing with doctors saying how you should wear flipflops because they can help out your knees by up to 15% when walking. I suppose on a bike they help out your knees by ___%?...... lmao!

Edited by Casper
fixed quote

I found that showing people the site: www.ride2die.com can influence their decision to wear gear.

but its not your job or your right to try to influence anyone to do anything. let them do what they want to do. its not your ass in the seat. you should just worry about you. How often do you speed. they have just as many web sites about that and when talking about that your actually putting other peoples lives in risk. We lost a firefight a few years back that was on his busa and he hit a car that didnt see him and he was speeding way over the limit and killed the passenger and him self. Im saying if someone dosnt want to wear gear then so be it.

but its not your job or your right to try to influence anyone to do anything. let them do what they want to do. its not your ass in the seat. you should just worry about you. How often do you speed. they have just as many web sites about that and when talking about that your actually putting other peoples lives in risk. We lost a firefight a few years back that was on his busa and he hit a car that didnt see him and he was speeding way over the limit and killed the passenger and him self. Im saying if someone dosnt want to wear gear then so be it.

I agree, but I'd rather my friends make informed decisions. If they look at the facts and decide to ride without gear, so be it. I have no problem with people riding without gear, I just think people need to be informed.

It seems that many people see all the squids in t-shirts and sandals and think that it's cool and normal to not wear gear.

I love my 3/4 gloves. I wear mechanix gloves if it gets chilly and I'd love to pick up a nice pair of semi gauntlets on the cooler days.

I will admit with all the ventilation zippers open on my jacket I find it keeps me cooler than tshirt only... that's kind of nice

I agree, but I'd rather my friends make informed decisions. If they look at the facts and decide to ride without gear, so be it. I have no problem with people riding without gear, I just think people need to be informed.

It seems that many people see all the squids in t-shirts and sandals and think that it's cool and normal to not wear gear.

totally agreed man... When I show up to a place with all my leathers on, people are always shocked and commenting like "wow you must really be a canyon carver to be wearing that" and its like pshhht... It should be that the common person is shocked when they DONT see gear.

totally agreed man... When I show up to a place with all my leathers on, people are always shocked and commenting like "wow you must really be a canyon carver to be wearing that" and its like pshhht... It should be that the common person is shocked when they DONT see gear.

Yeah, I heard from a guy that I met down at the Dragon, that in England that it's actually like that. Everyone wears leathers, at least that's the way he made it sound. I've never been there, so...

LIterally just got in from Taco Bell/7/11 in Gateway, the squids were out in fulllll scale there man. Its just sad because we ll be reading about so many people again this year with no helmets making the news for the wrong reasons.

I m 100% geared up, no matter where Im going. Its not worth it.

i mite not wear all the gear im not saying its the right thing to do but i WILL NOT LEAVE HOME EVEN TO THE CORNER WITH OUT A HELMENT but im guilty of shorts and a wife beater and i have crashed at 45 with jacket and jeans on and still got rash witch suck pulling geans out of the road rash with the lil gravel thats in it too

Not wearing gear doesn't physically harm anyone but the person not wearing the gear. I get my tighties in a bunch when I start hearing people talk about regulating gear. It's a personal choice just like a seat-belt. Not wearing/using doesn't affect anyone but the person making that choice. I show up to work looking like an astronaut, but I want to make it home to play ball with my little ones. Enjoy the ride, be aware of what is going on around you, and know that every driver out there wants to kill you (maybe a little dramatic).

@ TG, while there are no guarantees, watch some AMA racing sometime... those guys go down @ speeds upwards of 200, and usually walk away... So don't fool yourself into thinking your odds are the same with or without gear. your odds of walking away, rather than being carted away, are MUCH MUCH MUCH better with gear on. Loud pipes don't save lives, gear does.

I'm totally against mandating it, but I'm all for reccomending it.

@ TG, while there are no guarantees, watch some AMA racing sometime... those guys go down @ speeds upwards of 200, and usually walk away... So don't fool yourself into thinking your odds are the same with or without gear. your odds of walking away, rather than being carted away, are MUCH MUCH MUCH better with gear on. Loud pipes don't save lives, gear does.

I'm totally against mandating it, but I'm all for reccomending it.

no see your the type of guy that has it twisted. AMA racing crash's happen with everyone going in the same direction and sand traps to stop you and the bike hay bails to keep you from hitting a pole. See in real life its the stoping that kills you when you hit a tree or and oncoming car. See the real world dosnt put up safty nets for you. To many people on here feel like the race track is the same as the streets and then take the bike out and act like it just because they are wearing there magical suit of armer.