Spare Keys

gen3flygirl

they told us it is store policy that they won't copy bike keys for security reasons. Also had 2 smaller hardware stores tell us the same. My buddy ended up ordering one from a yamaha dealer and I said screw it figured one is enough

Huh? How is that different than a car key or house key? I understand them not stocking many but for security reasons sounds weird to me.

They will if you show them the damn registration. What they probably meant was that they didn't want to stock bike keys because they hardly ever sell any.

which reminds me, I always have the registration with me and offer it for copying a bike key.

Even that isn't fool proof. I could "swipe" someone's yamaha key and show them the title/registration for my yamaha.

Even that isn't fool proof. I could "swipe" someone's yamaha key and show them the title/registration for my yamaha.

A good locksmith can tell if it's the right key for the bike by the VIN.

Yeah I guess so, but why not for cars or houses? If your gonna verify the legality of it.

I don't know. I guess it's because they've had troubles in the past with people making keys for bikes. I don't see the big deal either, since you can pick the bike up and take it, or roll it away. I think they should check registration to make a car key. I bet they don't because they want the sale.

I don't know. I guess it's because they've had troubles in the past with people making keys for bikes. I don't see the big deal either, since you can pick the bike up and take it, or roll it away. I think they should check registration to make a car key. I bet they don't because they want the sale.

Some dealers (GM for sure, and some Fords) can cut a key using the VIN, but tend to not do it without the owner proving ownership, registration, ID, etc... We had a customer that needed a new key cut (no old one to go on, it was broken off in the ignition) and the Ford stealership wouldn't do it for our shop, even though we regularly deal with them. If the one in town here would've had the ability, I bet they would have done it. I'm not sure if they didn't have the equipment, or just none of the key blanks, it's been a few years ago.

A lot of hardware places don't like to stock the keys, and although things have changed since the 8 years I used to work in one, couldn't just order one key blank, had to order 10 I believe, and then they don't want to stock the other 9.

Last time, I just bought an uncut key blank from FleaBay, and then took it into Roush Hardware and they cut it for me. Key blank is from probably $4. up to $40. depending on the custom styles (appearance) Then to actually get it cut, they charged me less then a dollar.

Dunno if that helps you any..but it's all I know heh.

Stewarts Security on Wilson Bridge. I think there's a member on here that works there.

http://www.stewarts-security.com/

I took my key in there and they cut 2 for like four bucks. crazy cheap. Its not an original stock key but its flat enough to where I can put it in my wallet for use as a backup.

I haven't been able to get a spare made at Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, or Meijer.

dont worry, no big loss. home depot and lowes make shit keys. every time ive gotten a key made there, it sucks ass.