B-25 fly-in at Urbana this weekend

psyco1

I figured there are some aircraft buffs here, so..

Just saw that they were having the biggest B-25 fly-in at Grimes airport in Urbana this weekend.

http://www.champaignaviationmuseum.org/

2- 1600 horsepower 14 cylinder 2600 cubic inch twin row radial engines? You bet your ass I'm going.

Friday would be a nice day at Urbana, to watch them all arrive. And then practice formation flying. I wonder how crowded it would be on the weekend in Dayton. Short notice, I have no idea how I missed this aero event coming up. Tempting, very tempting...

B-25 fun factoid: The H model had a 75mm cannon in the nose for ground attack. In a power dive, the H model was known to catch up to and fly past those 75mm cannon projectiles on their way to the ground. Or so the story goes...

Replaced by the J model with a maximum of 18 forward facing .50cal machine guns. :eek:

Some of the conversion drawings were done at Rockwell in Columbus Ohio. When the plant closed, we found the drawings. No one wanted them. We found local aviation enthusiasts that would take them and historically preserve them.

B-25 fun factoid: The H model had a 75mm cannon in the nose for ground attack. In a power dive, the H model was known to catch up to and fly past those 75mm cannon projectiles on their way to the ground. Or so the story goes...

Replaced by the J model with a maximum of 18 forward facing .50cal machine guns. :eek:

Some of the conversion drawings were done at Rockwell in Columbus Ohio. When the plant closed, we found the drawings. No one wanted them. We found local aviation enthusiasts that would take them and historically preserve them.

My grandfather worked at Rockwell. He had some pretty cool stories.

Wow, I'm surprised that the the USAF Museum didn't want them.

Typically they change their minds and ask for them, when it's too late.

We also had the drawings of the last changes made to the P-51 Mustang.

It was used briefly in Vietnam, as a Forward Air Control spotter aircraft.

What? Maybe cuz theyre still flying.

The museum is currently trying to get a shuttle. But slight technical issues are preventing this from happening.

The drawings they found are still flying? I'd like to see that.