LCD monitor problem...repair or replace?

SWing'R

Ok so my Acer 17" LCD monitor has decided to take a shit. I got it in 2006 from MicroCenter,

its already been repaired once under warranty so I'm wondering if its worth trying to get it

fixed or should I just get a new one?

Anyone ever pay to have a LCD monitor repaired? Whats it run? Where can I take it?

Probably not worth it to repair, LCDs generally run around 85 ish for a 19".

Dell Home has the Dell S2309W 23" Full HD Widescreen Monitor for $89 (or $86 w/ DPA) with Free Shipping. Thanks yuugotserved

Specs

• Resolution: 1920x1080
  • Response time: 5ms
  • Contrast ratio: 1000:1
  • Viewing Angle: 160° / 170° (typical)
  • Inputs
    • DVI
    • VGA

If paying with Dell Preferred Account (DPA) you may save an extra 3% making it $86, here is how:

1. During checkout, select Credit Card as method of payment
  2. Click "Change Payment Type"
  3. Click "Choose" link under Credit/Debit Card (again)
  4. Under "Save 3% with Dell Preferred Account! (Discount applied at Final Checkout)" click "Click Here to Take Advantage of this Offer" link
  5. Click "Choose" under "I already have a Dell Preferred Account" if you have one, or sign up for a new one if you don't
  6. Checkout, enjoy your 3% savings

Thanks guys, thats kinda what I thought. Haven't even looked to see what they cost now,

back in 2006 this 17" cost $229, guessing they're a lot cheaper now.

And yeah I know a 17 is small by todays standards but I don't really need anything much bigger.

Gonna go look at some prices. Thanks again.

I've got the same predicament with a shipping scale. After you pay forward and return shipping, then the price of the repair, you've shot the cost. Even if it's still under warranty, the shipping alone can kill it. Then in the end you're just left with what you should've had in the first place - a product that works like it should have all along. With the scale, I figure I got my money out of it and I've already ordered another one from a better company and it has a 30 year warranty. I even had this same problem again with a digital point and shoot camera and just bought another one and it's been lasting for years now with no problems. The way monitor prices are dropping like stones, I'd say get a new monitor. Check out New Egg. Good luck man!

Ok so a quick online search turned up prices like this...

$120 for a 20" (newegg.com)

$99 for a 19" after $20 rebate (microcenter.com)

Anything over 20" starts to cost to much, not looking to spend over $200 again at this time.

Thinking $99 @ MC ain't bad considering its less than I paid for my original monitor and it's bigger!

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0327567

There's also this 18.5" @ BestBuy for $99 without a rebate...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+18.5%22+Widescreen+Flat-Panel+LCD+Monitor/9785647.p?id=1218174063096&skuId=9785647&st=lcd&contract_desc=null

Edited by SWing'R

You can get the 22" Acers for something like $169 or so. Well under $200, and you WILL love the bigger monitor.

Why spend an extra $69 for something I don't need, I'm sure I'd love it, who wouldn't like to go bigger, but I don't "need" it.

Either the 18.5 from Bestbuy or 19 from MC will do me fine and ironically I just deposited a $100 commission check this morning

from my ecigs biznez so I guess I know where that moneys going :p

Also look at your video card. many "value" video cards can not run the resolution a larger monitor requires.

Its the monitor. We have two pcs and two identical monitors, I swiped my wife's monitor temporarily.

It started acting up about a week ago, not wanting to turn on, when you pressed the power button it would blink green

instead of staying green. Eventually it would turn on, tonight it wouldn't even though I tried the usual "fix it" tactics but

no matter where I hit it it just didn't want to turn on tonight :o

Why spend an extra $69 for something I don't need' date=' I'm sure I'd love it, who wouldn't like to go bigger, but I don't "need" it.[/quote']

Is the 17" that you have now a widescreen?

With the "do I need it" mentallity, you'd still be scooter-boy. :lol:

I'm almost tempted to make you a killer deal on one of my 22" LCD's, since I don't get much use out of the second one anymore. I'm just not sure I can talk myself into it!

Is the 17" that you have now a widescreen?

With the "do I need it" mentallity, you'd still be scooter-boy. :lol:

I'm almost tempted to make you a killer deal on one of my 22" LCD's, since I don't get much use out of the second one anymore. I'm just not sure I can talk myself into it!

No its just a plain 17". I'll just go with one of the two I mentioned, no biggie, seriously, I don't watch movies on the pc or play video games so I don't really see the need for a WS, hell if I could get another 17" for under $100 I'd probably buy it :dunno: but since I can get 19 for $100 thats probably the route I'll go.

No need for a widescreen, I just haven't seen a 4:3 LCD monitor in quite a while. In which case, You'll need at least a 19 to recover what you lose by going wide. Just go look at them, they may even have something on clearance, if ya go to Microcenter! I love that place! It's a toss up between there and Iron Pony for my favorite store in town!

Its the monitor. We have two pcs and two identical monitors' date=' I swiped my wife's monitor temporarily.

It started acting up about a week ago, not wanting to turn on, when you pressed the power button it would blink green

instead of staying green. Eventually it would turn on, tonight it wouldn't even though I tried the usual "fix it" tactics but

no matter where I hit it it just didn't want to turn on tonight :o[/quote']

I did not mean to look at the card for the dead monitor. I ment for the new one.

For example you average 20" monitor runs at 1680X1050. Some "value" card and or older video cards will not push that resolution causing the monitor to run in compatibility mode, which looks like shit.