Will trade for beer and pizza (or wings)

Sapphy

Ok so I have an 05 Kawasaki Vulcan that needs carb help. Before you all say take it and get it Dyno tuned, I know that would be best but beer and food fits my budget much better, plus as a non racer cruiser gal I think a Dyno Tune would at this point be wasted on me.

Here is the back story.

Just purchased the bike in march. Previous owner left gas in it for over a year. When I got it ran, but only choked. I ran some Marvel mystery oil in the gas for a few tanks and it got better and runs now without the choke. I had to adjust the idle screw a bit, It gets around the side streets well enough but will never win a race. I will say that it is a bit doggy in the lower RPMs (take off). The real issue happens when I try to go at highway speeds. I have to wind 3rd way out to get it up to 55, then I hit 4th and with a good tail wind and going down hill I can get it to 65 with it wide open. I get the least little hill and I loose mph slowly.

I am trying seafoam now, and half way through a tank with a treatment of seafoam in it. I changed the oil. I replaced the plugs, double checking the gap before putting them in.

The motor in the bike is the same as the Ninjas

I will buy beer and pizza or wings for anyone that can lend me a hand on this project.

Thanks

Any bike can be dynotuned... but adjusting the "mapping" for a carbed bike requires needles/jets/etc.

Saphy, the Vulcan 500s are underpowered a bit and the Vulcans (800 and 1500 so I assume 500 as well) are geared a little odd... on my 800 RPMs are way high at 70 (and the top speed is 100ish).

Doesn't hurt to clean the lines or the carb but don't expect the V500 to fly on the highway (or really in 4th and 5th gear)

Edited by Likwid

Any bike can be dynotuned... but adjusting the "mapping" for a carbed bike requires needs/jets/etc.

Saphy, the Vulcan 500s are underpowered a bit and the Vulcans (800 and 1500 so I assume 500 as well) are geared a little odd... on my 800 RPMs are way high at 70 (and the top speed is 100ish).

Doesn't hurt to clean the lines or the carb but don't expect the V500 to fly on the highway (or really in 4th and 5th gear)

yea, I did not buy it to win any races, but really I think something is not right. I am not exaggerating, it takes going down hill and a good tail wind to get it to 65.

Now cleaning it eeeeppp I am scared to take it apart. I have never had a good record with rebuilding them. The last time I tried it took 3 times to get it even close to right, and it never was right really, maybe the punk that stole the care it was on fixed, the irony. lol

Yes it is a 6 speed, and no, I have never been there, never had the power to

GearingCommander.com is an amazing website for those of us folks who don't have dem dere fancy taco-meters.

The theoretical top speed I'm seeing for the Vulcan 500 is 91 mph... but according to that page it looks like the top speed for 4th gear is ~70-80... keep in mind the Vulcan's usually have a lovely 10% discrepancy between indicated speed and actual speed....

Sounds like the carbs need cleaned and jetted properly. Carbs dont like gas when it sits in them for long periods of time.

Pull em,

Soak em,

Jet em right.

yea, that is what I figure is my issue. Several people said seafoam would clean them so I don't have to pull and soak them, but if I have to I have to. I know the needles can be adjusted as well, that is a skill I have never had any luck in developing. My thinking is previous owner played with it enough to get it running enough for me to buy. Now that gas additives have done their job, it may be in need of more adjustment. I am guessing it is running lean, but for all I know it could be running rich as well.

Shouldn't have to change any parts to make it run right. If it's never been modified. Unless something is obviously broken or worn out. It does sound like carbs need cleaned, but don't forget the air filter also. And it might be a good idea to check the timing, if it's adjustable. I'm living in the dark ages with that, but if it has carbs, I figure it might have adjustable timing.

When I read the title, I thought "wants work on computer"... no, wait, that's not right...

Shouldn't have to change any parts to make it run right. If it's never been modified. Unless something is obviously broken or worn out. It does sound like carbs need cleaned, but don't forget the air filter also. And it might be a good idea to check the timing, if it's adjustable. I'm living in the dark ages with that, but if it has carbs, I figure it might have adjustable timing.

When I read the title, I thought "wants work on computer"... no, wait, that's not right...

And seeing that this is basically the EX500 engine, which has been around for a while, it might be adjustable.

O yes, I forgot, I already replaced the filter with a K&N

And seeing that this is basically the EX500 engine, which has been around for a while, it might be adjustable.

if their is timing I have not found anything to that in my searching of the web, but that may not mean anything really.

I am kind sad, because if it comes down to me needing to tear the carbs apart, I just don't have that much faith in my wrenching skills. My fear is it will cost about as much to take it to the dealer as I paid for the bike :(

"John" should have a service manual for his EX500. Same engine, same procedure - just have to get to the carbs in a slightly different manner.

I have one too, but he's two hours closer to you. I've never cleaned the carbs on my bike, but it's more tedious than difficult.

the biggest problem with carbs in general is that you have to take them apart and put them back together to tell if your adjustment actually did anything. FI, all you have to do is change a setting on the computer.

50-55 hp? I don't see why you couldn't at least do 85-90 mph. I had a 33 hp kz-400 and it did about 65-70 mph with me on it. So...definitely sound likes somethings up.

My Ninja 250 with all 26 HP will get me up over 80. I don't push it much more than that, though.

I have one too, but he's two hours closer to you. I've never cleaned the carbs on my bike, but it's more tedious than difficult.

Definitely tedious! The primary thing is to make sure ALL of the passages are clear.

"John" should have a service manual for his EX500. Same engine, same procedure - just have to get to the carbs in a slightly different manner.

the biggest problem with carbs in general is that you have to take them apart and put them back together to tell if your adjustment actually did anything. FI, all you have to do is change a setting on the computer.

FI I can do, Puters I do all day every day. The last carb I did was a 4 barrel off an 83 RX7. Took me 3 tries to get it to where it would even run. Never got it right, would back fire every time I would turn it off. Then the issue of "synchronizing the carbs" I still not clear on what that is and how to do it.