My R6 is down with piston slap or connecting rod failure...

TinyTim

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got it listed for 2000 (and willing to negotiate) on craigslist.

If there is interest let me know, otherwise I may be hosting a tear down party in a few weeks.

You can pull 1200-1500 for just the bare frame and title, 500-600 for the plastics, 200-300 for the wheels, 100 for the tires, 100-200 for the electronics, 40 for mirrors, 50-70 for the brakes, 40-60 for the swingarm. Then you still got engine parts, tranny parts, controls, lights, gas tank, fuel pump......ect ect. See how quickly that adds up and some parts could go much higher with really interested bidders.

You can have it completely stripped down in 2hrs or less with basic hand tools.

There is still time and effort spent to organize, photograph, ship, etc, etc.

And at the end of the day that is one less R6 on the road. I am beginning to think one less R6 on the road and one more bike in my garage is a fair trade.

So nobody else finds it odd that 150 miles after this "service" the bike suddenly develops this death gurgle? 20k+ on the bike and no signs of this impending bottom end doom were noticed by the tech immediately before or after the work?

Disclosure: I work with Tim. Didn't hear the bike before or after. He buys the coincidence, I'm a bit skeptical.

So nobody else finds it odd that 150 miles after this "service" the bike suddenly develops this death gurgle? 20k+ on the bike and no signs of this impending bottom end doom were noticed by the tech immediately before or after the work?

Disclosure: I work with Tim. Didn't hear the bike before or after. He buys the coincidence, I'm a bit skeptical.

+1. Again just get a motor from cyclesearch with a 10% discount for being an OR.

piston slap often will go away after the engine is warmed up. basically, when its cold the pistons are not as tight in their bores. once it gets warm, the metal expands and it fits the bore better.

drain the oil and check for any debris. maybe a failed rod bearing... that will usually get worse as the oil thins out.

Yes I do, but I'm bitting my tongue a bit as the servicer is a site sponsor and I've not looked at the bike myself. Site sponsor or not though, if I do happen to look at the bike theres a couple things I would check and then would be brutally honest with my opinion if it turned out to be tooooo "coincidental".

But I would deff have been pretty harsh with them when it happend.

Edited by MidgetTodd

When I called I asked them to give me a solution. They were there with a trailer that night and there has been no mention of a bill so far. I hope it turns out ...

I call "damage control" and would bet they are biting their nails. But again I've not looked at it.

Even if it is just "damage control" and is not good customer service, I still appreciate the time and effort that they have put into it. Maybe I am too trusting.

The bike is still at the shop, I need to discuss my options with the shop manager. Worst case I get it home, tear it apart, take a peek inside and part it out.

There seems to be no interest in non-running bikes, so parting out is my option.

I call "damage control" and would bet they are biting their nails. But again I've not looked at it.
do you honestly believe I would let someone that I know get taken advantage of by my employer? Just a general question.... nor do I believe that the tech purposely set out to have the bike f- up... you guys may know YOUR bikes in and out but there is a reason these guys get PAID to work on bikes... and short of tearing the whole engine down I doubt anyone would be able to determine the problem with exact certainty... I know that our shop is doing everything possible to save money and time for anyone that comes thru the door... :mad:

No Moose I dont think you would, but you're not a mechanic and most likely were not watching him work on it either. So you would not know what really happend and noone else would either for that matter. But I am sure if you did know somthing you wouldnt stand for it.

Fucking up an engine can be very easy to do, nobody is saying anybody was malicious in intent. I think that "rattling" sound "like a bag of rocks" was his cam chain rattling or skipping teeth in either case a piston hitting a valve is the next step.

Also just because you get paid to do something doesn't make you good at it. I am not speaking of anyone specifically, but in general

I hate to put my two cents in but im going to. Moose ( love ya man) but lets get realistic , bike has 25000 miles and is running fine and within 150 miles of service wipes the motor. Yea i would have to say there was some fucked up issue with the way it was serviced . As for pony , well i wouldnt have my bike serviced there , they dont exactly have the best rep if you no what i mean . I like going there and seeing you and checking shit out but i havent had exactly the best experience in the place . (scratched rims on tire changes, and prices inflated way over industry standards) but your still my dude

It's been just over a week since I have ridden and my plan to save up for a much newer bike seems insane (who really wants to give up a whole season when there is an almost functional R6 in the garage). I am leaning to the used motor option and/or fix the old one on my own (i've got time with no bike to ride).

Anybody interested in an engine teardown in the near future?

I hate to put my two cents in but im going to. Moose ( love ya man) but lets get realistic , bike has 25000 miles and is running fine and within 150 miles of service wipes the motor. Yea i would have to say there was some fucked up issue with the way it was serviced . As for pony , well i wouldnt have my bike serviced there , they dont exactly have the best rep if you no what i mean . I like going there and seeing you and checking shit out but i havent had exactly the best experience in the place . (scratched rims on tire changes, and prices inflated way over industry standards) but your still my dude

ok 1st of all I have followed this bike's service since it came in for the cam chain replacement, now I know for a fact that the bike was having problems which is why tim had it brought in, the conclusion after tearing down the top half of the motor was that the cam chain needed replaced as well as some of the top end parts. (as tim has stated) the noise then seemed to be coming from the bottom end after tim rode it back and forth to work... now me being a layman I would assume that maybe that problem existed before we replaced the cam chain, as rods don't just magically start knocking, and was maybe exasperated with the cam chain replacement which was masking the underlying problems... it'd be next to impossible to MAKE the problem appear while having the top end worked on... and yes I do pay attention to what the techs do, I ask questions when I don't understand something, and if something doesn't look or sound right I question it... if you had poor service you need to let the Management know about it... so that it can be rectified. If anyone has a bad experience they should let us know... as some here can attest I will do everything in my power to assure everyone is treated fairly and professionally....:rulez: that is the MOOSE guarantee...

Fucking up an engine can be very easy to do, nobody is saying anybody was malicious in intent. I think that "rattling" sound "like a bag of rocks" was his cam chain rattling or skipping teeth in either case a piston hitting a valve is the next step.

Also just because you get paid to do something doesn't make you good at it. I am not speaking of anyone specifically, but in general

agreed, but getting paid means at some point you have had training/schooling in said profession, which in turn means you aren't a newb @ it... not saying that shit doesn't happen just saying that that's why we back up what we do...

Moose bro i no you would go to the end of the earth to help a brother out and i respect that im just saying that if the cams and tensioner were set wrong it could very easy drop a valve and have the piston hit it . Also we had another or guy with a r6 take his bike into pony last week for a jet kit to be installed and now his bike floods out and dies. seems to me it would be hard to make the assessment that the bike would need a jet kit and what stage of jets to use without having a dyno to measure the air /fuel ratio and adjusted it properly . just seems funny that 2 people have taken there bikes into pony in the last 3 weeks and now they dont run . As for you working there i think that is befinatly a plus for pony :) not hate'n man just pointing out the dangers of taking a bike to a shop and not knowing who the mechanic is or his experience. Case and point ask power sports east , where the Josh dude works that stole and fucked up moes busa .

Edited by skulls