Happy Trails Teton Luggage?

Casper

Anyone ever have a set of Teton panniers? I have a few questions to ask someone who's used them. Like, which width did you have, 7.5" or 9"? Did you wish you had the other size? Did you like them? Any complaints?

I looked at the Happy Trails really closely, nice quality from everything I've read. I ended up going with ABS/Pelicans on Motech racks in the end, I thought the durability light weight and ease-of-removal sold me, but the Tetons are rock solid.

I looked at the Happy Trails really closely, nice quality from everything I've read. I ended up going with ABS/Pelicans on Motech racks in the end, I thought the durability light weight and ease-of-removal sold me, but the Tetons are rock solid.

How much heavier are they versus the Pelicans? I know they're 1lb each lighter than the Givis.

I can't remember the figures offhand, but I know that my rack + panniers are lighter than the Happy Trails, the rack may be the real difference I don't really know it's been a while since I compared them. The Motech is a cool rack, strong but minimal as far as how much metal is on it.

Edited by swingset

• 2 weeks later...

You bought a Strom, huh? Cool.

Don't forget if you get the natural aluminum versions you need to use a bag to keep clothing in, otherwise the rubbing against the bare aluminum will discolor them.

I dig the look of the HT or Jesse stuff but the cost is ri-goddamn-diculous. When I had hard bags I used Givi racks with Pelican 1550 cases on them, whole setup was like $375.

You bought a Strom, huh? Cool.

Don't forget if you get the natural aluminum versions you need to use a bag to keep clothing in, otherwise the rubbing against the bare aluminum will discolor them.

I dig the look of the HT or Jesse stuff but the cost is ri-goddamn-diculous. When I had hard bags I used Givi racks with Pelican 1550 cases on them, whole setup was like $375.

Yup. Got it over the winter. Right now HT is running a special: the cases are discounted, and are predrilled and powdercoated for free.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Obviously I answered via PM but for anyone else, I would keep the 9". You lose about an inch of that width at the top mount opening with the water and dust lip, so the 7.5" bags only have about 6.5" openings.

Otherwise, I have nothing bad to say. These are holding up well; I did 3k to New England and lived out of these things for a week.

I'm quite happy.

I keep a set of small luggage padlocks in my tank bag so I can lock the bags as needed. I also added an Agri Supply tool tube to the void area behind the left side one (not shown in above pics).