8,120 foot kill shot - times 2

jblosser

I don't know all the math at that range regarding bullet drop and all the other gazillion things you need to know, but I would guess the point of aim would be like 30 feet above what you are shooting at to get out that far.

The reference to the the third shot to disable the weapon, i would call BS if he sent his bullet into the barrel :) Or is the weapon "disabled" when you shoot the shooter?

I don't know all the math at that range regarding bullet drop and all the other gazillion things you need to know, but I would guess the point of aim would be like 30 feet above what you are shooting at to get out that far.

The reference to the the third shot to disable the weapon, i would call BS if he sent his bullet into the barrel :) Or is the weapon "disabled" when you shoot the shooter?

First,, Zombie thread lives...WTF.

Second,, 30ft..haha you are WAY WAY off my friend!!

Ok so I ran a few of the numbers through my ballistics calculator.

.338 Lapua

300gr sierra matchking

2750fps (max load from my loading manual)

at 2700 yards (8120ft) the bullet will be traveling at roughly 877fps and will have around 500ftlbs of energy. You have to figure it is hitting with almost the exact speed and force of a 45acp bullet from a handgun at point blank. It is certainly lethal.

For the fun stuff.

It would have taken the bullet 5.98 seconds to fly that far.

At it's highest point the bullet would have been 157 feet above the ground.

For every 3mph of crosswind, it would add around 13ft of windage adjustment.

For the guys saying it can't be done. I hold the same frame of mind with that Craig Harrison dude as I would Carlos Hathcock. You go ahead and tell the guy he is lying and then stand anywhere within a mile of him with his rifle. I don't friggin think so.:wtf::D

Ok so I ran a few of the numbers through my ballistics calculator.

.338 Lapua

300gr sierra matchking

2750fps (max load from my loading manual)

at 2700 yards (8120ft) the bullet will be traveling at roughly 877fps and will have around 500ftlbs of energy. You have to figure it is hitting with almost the exact speed and force of a 45acp bullet from a handgun at point blank. It is certainly lethal.

For the fun stuff.

It would have taken the bullet 5.98 seconds to fly that far.

At it's highest point the bullet would have been 157 feet above the ground.

For every 3mph of crosswind, it would add around 13ft of windage adjustment.

For the guys saying it can't be done. I hold the same frame of mind with that Craig Harrison dude as I would Carlos Hathcock. You go ahead and tell the guy he is lying and then stand anywhere within a mile of him with his rifle. I don't friggin think so.:wtf::D

I didnt say it couldnt be done, Just saying that 3 consecutive accurate shots at that distance are "questionable"