Yay!!! Texting Ban: Columbus Begins Enforcement Today

CbrGirl

No, it's 60 miles south of Columbus on St Rt 23

I wasn't asking you! I was asking the guy that suggested that lawmakers in columbus city hall were responsible for the lost jobs in waverly. :D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Zach... sorry I don't check this every day... No, Waverly is the most recent example I can remember but not in Franklin County. Saw it on the news yesterday...

Are you saying Franklin County is immune from Plant closures and job loss? I can name 15-20 places that employed at least 150 people each that no longer exist in Columbus. What I am suggesting that law makers in Columbus could do more to keep those types of places open in Franklin county instead of worrying about trivial legislation such as this. Just gives them a chance to say "Look what I accomplished!"

Booze, cell phones, etc., etc., etc.... stupid people will find a way to kill themselves or others....

• 4 months later...

Does this count as an "I told you so"? :p

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showpost.php?p=484014&postcount=47

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showpost.php?p=466007&postcount=16

If you drive like an asshat, you're ALWAYS going to drive like an asshat until you kill yourself or someone else. All some law is going to do is make people even less focused on the road because now they're focused on texting AND looking out for cops catching them texting.

Hell, it won't deter some people at all. People still don't wear their seatbelts either.

Breaking news....

Texting while driving bans don't work, may actually hurt, study finds

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/092810-texting-bans-dont-work.html

..."Texting bans haven't reduced crashes at all. In a perverse twist, crashes increased in 3 of the 4 states we studied after bans were enacted. It's an indication that texting bans might even increase the risk of texting for drivers who continue to do so despite the laws," says Lund. ...

Yeah, but it makes us feeeeeeeel safer.

:rolleyes:

Moar fear. :lol:

Question is, do we need a ban? Does the ban accomplish anything?

Does it target one source of distraction while utterly ignoring other ones?

That was sort of my point. Like, I always wear a helmet. I think people who ride without helmets are fucking idiots. But it's your choice to be a retard or not. I hate dumbass laws like this. They end up being jokes decades later, like no fucking chickens on Sundays.

its about time....they are as bad as drunk drivers

So you're under the impression this ban will stop texting? Distracted driving was already a ticketable offense. Will the extra-super focused ban do something that the already other ignored law won't? Will anyone unwilling to comply with the first law they broke sweat the second?

Do you favor double-negative law enforcement? How about a ban on misspelling to discourage graffiti? Perhaps a ban on short penises to discourage flashing?

How do people applaud useless, knee-jerk shit like this? Will you be one iota safer on the streets? Think so? Explain how.

Laws ARE important...but let's be real about this...if someone wants to do something, they will. I'm not saying legalize selling crack just because they can't stop it, but I think you should focus your law enforcement personnel on more important issues.

I still don't understand how people are such bad drivers as soon as the phone comes into play. Plenty of people have a passenger and talk to them, but as soon as they got on a phone then loose all focus and suck at driving. Same thing with texting, IMO is you can be caught for this ban, you are doing it wrong. I make it so that both are like a normal convo with a passenger, I am paying attention to the road and not staring at the phone or the person. I also put the phone on speaker, so its even more like its just another passenger.